• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sevans

What C++ IDE to use?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been asked 1000 times, but here goes: I'm a java developer and use mainly NetBeans, I'd like to delve more into C++ but I'm unsure what IDE to use. Any good ones out there that I should start with? Thanks! ^^ Hmm. Maybe it would be a good idea for GameDev.net to start a page with a list of IDEs for popular languages and allow members to vote on them?

Advertisement
I believe Microsoft Visual Studio .NET is probably the best IDE out there (from the ones that I've used) and its probably the single best piece of software that Microsoft has put out IMHO. But that's coming from someone who has only developed under Linux without an IDE, and never developed for the Mac. So I'm kind of one-sided. Dev C++ is most definately not bad either.

Some version of Visual Studio .NET if you can afford it or want to do DirectX (excluding the beta version of 2005 floating around out there, they start at about $100), or DevC++ if you can't.

If you're into IDEs [I prefer a good text editor over an IDE for new code], then MS C++ 2005 beta is good. There's a lot of nice little tidbits, like proper debugging info for STL objects, and expandable blocks of code/comments that really set it apart over others I've tried [MSVC6, stock devcpp]

If you purchase a copy of the book: Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Deluxe Learning Edition you get a free copy of Visual C++ .NET 2003 with the unoptimised compiler. You can then download the optimised compiler for free from Microsoft and plug-it-in. The book costs a mere $79 new on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619085/qid=1122409380/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-2849251-5049752?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Or $25 used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0735619085/ref=dp_olp_1//102-2849251-5049752?condition=all

Hope that helped, I bought it and can confirm it is the full version. The Visual C++ .NET 2003 Standard Edition software on its own costs $92 (go figure?)

ukdm

Have used DEV-C++ exclusively from starting coding in C++ (7 months). It's good but the debugging is PANTS!!! You also have access to lots of devpacks, which is nice..;)

Have decided to give code::blocks a try, and I'm very plesantly suprised. Compilation times seem shorter, the ui is good and you can develop your own plug-ins for the IDE...how cool is that!!! Haven't tried debugger yet...so can't compare with the PANTS that comes with DEV-C++.

Try them both and see which you prefer....best bit is that there both FREE...marvellous.

Have also got VS 2005 beta, but haven't got stuck into that yet...not too sure if the compiler is ANSI standard this time round...but people say good things about it so I might have a bash.

Quote:
Original post by marvel
Code::Blocks, definitely. It is free, open source, cross-platform, and extensible.

Thirded and motion carried. Its really the successor to Dev-Cpp, and the first release candidate (1.0 RC 1) has been released yesterday.
I might add that it also provides a plugin framework.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!