• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
programmerml

Set paths?

This topic is 4771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just downloaded the direct x sdk from microsofts website and used its self extractor but now the samples will not work. I think I need to set the paths for the lib's and .h's to be found. If this is what I need to do then how?

Advertisement
1. First determine that the SDK is installed; take a look at Programs in the Start menu, you should have an item titled something like "Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (June 2005)". If you run the DirectX Sample Browser from there, you'll be able to determine that the SDK samples and related media have been installed as expected.

2. In Microsoft Visual Studio (this is for .NET 2003, but most versions are similar):

a) go to the Tools menu and select Options...

b) select the options for "Projects".

c) select the sub options for "VC++ Directories".

d) in the "Show directories for:" listbox select "Executable files".

e) in the list of directories, add the path to the \Utilities\Bin\x86 folder of the DirectX SDK. For example, on my machine, the full path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (June 2005)\Utilities\Bin\x86".

f) in the "Show directories for:" listbox select "Include files".

g) at the *top* of the list of directories, add the path to the \Include folder of the DirectX SDK. On my machine, the path is "
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (June 2005)\Include".

h) in the "Show directories for:" listbox select "Library files".

i) at the *top* of the list of directories, add the path to the \Lib\x86 folder of the DirectX SDK. On my machine, the path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (June 2005)\Lib\x86"

3) With older versions of the SDK, the "\x86" folders aren't present (due to lack of 64-bit support in older versions).

4) I'm pretty sure the SDK installer set the above paths automatically, so there may be some other problem you're having. If the above doesn't fix the problem, could you post some of the compilation errors you're seeing when you try to build one of the sample programs?

Thank You. I'm getting the June 2005 update right now and then I will try what you said. I will post in a little while if it worked or not and what some of the errors are if it does not work (I'm using visual c++ .net 2003).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!