• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Coluna

OpenGL Stenciled Shadow Volumes - polyoffset

This topic is 4893 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there; I read somewhere that u can avoid the shadow popping artifacts (due to vertex normals agains face normals...) adjusting the polygon offset value. I tried a lot of values, but i cannot find a good one...and for some values, a "shadowed" line appears in the edges of shadow volumes...did anybody has found a good value? (ps.: Im using OpenGL)

Advertisement
The offset is only meant to eliminate the popping, not the boolean silhouette edge. More specifically, the offset defines how 'fast' the line goes across the faces (i.e. a value of 0 goes across the face infinitely fast). But surely eliminating the popping is good enough, right?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!