• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blinkster

interpolation of buffered verts

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm using VBO's in my little 3D Engine. I thought it would be awesome to write a MD3 loader, and so I do. I read a lot of tutorials about MD3 and it was easy to load a model into the engine and link it together. However, the keyframe animation makes problems. Because I use buffered vertex data, I'm not able to interpolate the vertices between two keyframes. The question is, if there is no solution to make a keyframe animation with buffered data? Because buffered data is very fast, I dont want to render the vertices on the fly!

Advertisement
You could write a custom vertex shader that takes the interpolant value as a parameter, and two sets of vertices/normals. (The second set of verts/normals can be passed as generic vertex attribute pointers). I wrote one for this purpose quite some time ago, using the ARB_vertex_program extension (ie, before GLSL etc...) and it worked great.

Yes, shaders are good alternative, but using shader for that I have to implement also a solution for the FFP, because there are lots of people not having an actual gpu.
But used ID to render the vertices on the fly? I thought that would be too slow!?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!