• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ganoosh_

Valve's GUI

This topic is 4767 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you've played HL2 or CS or anything recent by Valve, you'll notice the amazing GUI they have ingame. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they made this from scratch, or used child windows and skinned them? Have any idea? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It is difficult to tell. What I can tell you though, is that either method, it is possible to create a GUI with as much flexibility as the Valve one [in terms of interactions with controls], with about a week of spare time and starting with a sensible architecture.

Yeah, I want to do something similar, but I want to not use the windows, but if that's the way they do it, I just might just incase of speed. You think a well-coded system like that would work fast?

Yeah if they wrote the very advanced rendering engine from scratch, why would they dump a pre-written GUI library on top. Writing a GUI isn't very hard, it's just not as glamourous as writing interesting terrain rendering engines or some such majestic graphics code.

The source of VGUI is included with the Source SDK if you want to take a look at it (or at least the high level control stuff is all there, I've never looked at it too closely so there may be substantial parts they don't provide the source for).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!