Valve's GUI

Started by
5 comments, last by Monder 18 years, 9 months ago
If you've played HL2 or CS or anything recent by Valve, you'll notice the amazing GUI they have ingame. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they made this from scratch, or used child windows and skinned them? Have any idea? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
It is difficult to tell. What I can tell you though, is that either method, it is possible to create a GUI with as much flexibility as the Valve one [in terms of interactions with controls], with about a week of spare time and starting with a sensible architecture.
die or be died...i think
Yeah, I want to do something similar, but I want to not use the windows, but if that's the way they do it, I just might just incase of speed. You think a well-coded system like that would work fast?
It's coded completely from scratch.
Ah ok, thanks Chris. Guess I better get to work.
Yeah if they wrote the very advanced rendering engine from scratch, why would they dump a pre-written GUI library on top. Writing a GUI isn't very hard, it's just not as glamourous as writing interesting terrain rendering engines or some such majestic graphics code.
The source of VGUI is included with the Source SDK if you want to take a look at it (or at least the high level control stuff is all there, I've never looked at it too closely so there may be substantial parts they don't provide the source for).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement