How is it possible to create an exporter for 3dsmax?

Started by
5 comments, last by Say 18 years, 8 months ago
I need 3dsmax to load meshes, place them and export all the meshes inside the scena as separated object with property as size, rotation, position, mesh file information and so on... How can i do?
Advertisement
Using X-files is a good way to start. Read the DX SDK tutorial number 6 first. You can use Panda plugin to export the meshes.
If you want to code your own exporter, consider this your warning: the 3ds Max Developer SDK is horribly atrocious. I have found the best way to learn with it is to actually go through other developer's plugin source code. This way, the code is somewhat logical and actually makes sense (as opposed to Discreet's samples).

To their credit, they have come out with a new Game interface aimed towards game developers. It is a little better than the SDK itself, since it basically wraps all of the messy functionality up into a recognizable class structure.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
It's not only atrocious it's also a real pain. You can't debug while it is running (at least I can't get it to work) and you can't unload the plugin with max loading, you have to shutdown, recompile, re-run it.

It's a really *crappy* SDK and I have nightmares thinking about having to work with it. If you can live with Max script use it, you can at least change things without having to restart the whole program everytime.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
It's not only atrocious it's also a real pain. You can't debug while it is running (at least I can't get it to work) and you can't unload the plugin with max loading, you have to shutdown, recompile, re-run it.

Actually you can do both, debugging and manually loading and unloading it [smile]
(tested only with version 6 and 7, though)
Nevertheless the plugin SDK is indeed horrible.

I remember that you can use this plugin to load/unload plugins. How can you do it without it though?
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
ok tnx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement