• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DirectXFreak

Weird heap pointer violation

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I'm writing a framework for my applications, and I've come accross an interesting problem. My project is set up in a .dll, with a .lib file to link it to the test project. There is this one class, CMeshNode, that resides in the .lib/.dll file, and crashes whenever I call delete on it. Here is the header file code:

class __declspec(dllexport) CMeshNode : public CSceneNode
{
protected:
	CXFile *m_pFile;
	float	m_fOldAlpha;
	float   *m_pfAlphas;

public:
	CMeshNode( const optional<ActorId> actorId,
			   CXFile *mesh,
			   RenderPass renderPass,
			   const Mat4x4 *t );

virtual ~CMeshNode() {}

virtual HRESULT onRestore(CSceneGraph *pScene );
	virtual HRESULT onRender( CSceneGraph *pScene );
	virtual HRESULT onInvalidate();

float	calcBoundingSphere();
};

Now, the interesting part, is that when I copy the class over to the test project, remove the __declspec(dllexport), and call delete on it, it works just fine. So what am I screwing up here? Is there some rule about dll's and classes that I'm breaking? If you have experienced this before and know how to fix it, I would appreciate the heads up.

Advertisement
You can't allocate memory in the DLL and free it from in the EXE, or vice versa, because the memory is allocated from different heaps. This isn't a problem in Linux / Unix apparently, but it is under Windows.

Where are you calling new and delete from?

It sounds like it's trying to delete something that doesn't belong to it.

Do you allocate any data with new in the client app, and and pass it to this class? Does it then get deleted with constructor?

Are there any stl::objects being passed in or out that might be getting resized?

Dlls use a separate heap to the client executable, so anything you allocate with new in the dll must also be deleted by the dll, and anything you allocate with new in the client exe must also be deleted in the client exe. Alternatively, you can get around this using the Win32 memory allocation functions instead of new

If it's an stl object that's causing the problem, see this thread.

I found that it's the dll and the exe both having different heaps.
Is using that alternate memory allocation a good idea? Or should I just ditch the dll implemenation (I'd rather not).

All you have to do is make sure that in your design if something is allocated from within the DLL and given to the exe, that you pass it back to some function in the DLL to have it deleted for you. It makes sense to do this anyway if you think about it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!