• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

GL_CLIP_PLANE's and Nvidia hardware

This topic is 4767 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have had an ATI card and currently a 6800GT. I am using GL_CLIP_PLANE0 to do my water rendering for reflections. I have an issue with my 6800GT not rendering my water correctly as my water reflections show up as blackend water areas... I have read online that Nvidia doesn't support GL_CLIP_PLANEs very well or at all... I know ATI does due to I have ran this code on a 9600XT and looked sweet. So I am looking for some help on if this is true or not, and what can I do to fix this problem... I would like to be able to code my water once and run on all cards, but seems like thats not possible with GL_CLIP_PLANE0 usage? Also is their any other way besides clip planes to render water besides stencil buffer methods due to they eat up CPU cycles correct? Thanks

Advertisement
Rather than using an expensive user clip plane defined by GL_CLIP_PLANEn, try setting up your near clip to do the job for you via a special frustum transform; it could only make things run a bit faster with minimal code change.

Here's a direct link to a sample demo showing how to set it up correctly.
Enjoy
PS: You can view the rest of the samples on this page.

Do not use the Nvidia sample code to modify your projection matrix. Although it does correctly move the near plane to coincide with an arbitrary clipping plane, it fails to consider the (very unintuitive) effect on the far plane and the related effect on depth buffer precision. The code at the following link is much better, and provides the provably optimal projection matrix for any given clipping plane.

http://www.terathon.com/code/oblique.html

If you have Game Programming Gems 5, this technique is discussed in Section 2.6. Some more details about the effect on depth buffer precision are discussed in the Journal of Game Development, Vol. 1, No. 2.

-- Eric Lengyel

Quote:
Original post by Eric Lengyel
Do not use the Nvidia sample code to modify your projection matrix. Although it does correctly move the near plane to coincide with an arbitrary clipping plane, it fails to consider the (very unintuitive) effect on the far plane and the related effect on depth buffer precision. The code at the following link is much better, and provides the provably optimal projection matrix for any given clipping plane.

http://www.terathon.com/code/oblique.html

If you have Game Programming Gems 5, this technique is discussed in Section 2.6. Some more details about the effect on depth buffer precision are discussed in the Journal of Game Development, Vol. 1, No. 2.

-- Eric Lengyel

Hi Eric, here is my code for the clip planes, I am not doing anything with the matrix's, and on ATI hardware it works fine...

void CTerrain::RenderRefractionAndDepth(float move_y)
{
draw_water = false;
const double plane[4] = {0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};

glViewport(0, 0, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glLoadIdentity();

g_Camera.LookAt();

glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef(0.0f, -move_y - WATER_HEIGHT - .1f, 0.0f);
glEnable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);
glClipPlane(GL_CLIP_PLANE0, plane);

DrawTerrainVBO(0.0f, true);

glDisable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);
glPopMatrix();

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObjectWater[WATER_REFRACTION]);
glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 0, 0, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, 0);

//render depth to texture
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObjectWater[WATER_DEPTHMAP]);
glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, 0, 0, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, 0);
draw_water = true;
}

void CTerrain::RenderReflection(float move_y)
{
draw_water = false;
const double plane[4] = {0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};

glViewport(0, 0, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glLoadIdentity();

g_Camera.LookAt();

glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef(0.0f, -move_y + WATER_HEIGHT + .1f, 0.0f);
glScalef(1.0, -1.0, 1.0);

glEnable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);
glClipPlane(GL_CLIP_PLANE0, plane);

DrawTerrainVBO(0.0f, true);

model.Draw(shift_model_x, shift_model_y, shift_model_z);
model.Draw((MAP_X * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR), 1.5f, (MAP_Z * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR - 6.0f));

g_Load3ds.Draw(g_3DModel[0], &g_Texture[0], (MAP_X * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR), 0.375f, (MAP_Z * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR), .001f);
g_Load3ds.Draw(g_3DModel[1], &g_Texture[0], (MAP_X * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR - 6.0f), .2f, (MAP_Z * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR), .001f);
g_Load3ds.Draw(g_3DModel[2], &g_Texture[0], (MAP_X * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR), .25f, (MAP_Z * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR - 2.5f), .001f);
g_Load3ds.Draw(g_3DModel[3], &g_Texture[1], (MAP_X * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR - 1.0f), .2f, (MAP_Z * .5f * TERRAIN_SCALE_FACTOR - 5.25f), .003f);

glDisable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0);
glPopMatrix();

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObjectWater[WATER_REFLECTION]);
glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 0, 0, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, WATER_TEXTURE_SIZE, 0);

draw_water = true;
}

Quote:
Are you using vertex programs?

Yes, and I will be switching to GLSL, but for now I would like to fix the issue with vertex programs...

On Nvidia hardware, you need to write a clip distance to result.clip[0] in your vertex program in addition to enabling the clip plane. You'll need to specify the option NV_vertex_program2 to use this.

Quote:
On Nvidia hardware, you need to write a clip distance to result.clip[0] in your vertex program in addition to enabling the clip plane. You'll need to specify the option NV_vertex_program2 to use this.

Thanks for the help!

Here is what I got.

In my VP I have this

PARAM clipDist = program.env[4];

MOV result.clip[0], clipDist;

and in my main program

static float clipDist[4] = {11.7f};//I am just placing numbers in here to see if anything changes for now...

glProgramEnvParameter4fvARB(GL_VERTEX_PROGRAM_ARB, 4, clipDist);

And nothing has changed and I do have the

OPTION NV_vertex_program2; on

do I need this also??

OPTION ARB_position_invariant;

Thanks

You don't have to use ARB_position_invariant to get the clipping planes.

Since you're always passing a positive number through to the clip distance, it will never clip. You should pass in an object-space plane and do this:

DP4 result.clip[0], vertex.position, program.env[4];

Quote:
You don't have to use ARB_position_invariant to get the clipping planes.

Since you're always passing a positive number through to the clip distance, it will never clip. You should pass in an object-space plane and do this:

DP4 result.clip[0], vertex.position, program.env[4];

Hmmm. No luck Eric. I sent you a PM... I added the DP4 and changed my env variable to a negative value and no luck. Read my PM and see what you think if I am on the right track with the specular lighting?? It would help to see screenshots...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!