• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Falling Sky

OpenGL Raycasting-like-graphics Simulation

This topic is 4888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yo, Ive been thinking of making a game but thought the old fashioned raycasting look would be nifty but I didnt even wanna think about meddling with the actual math and everything that takes place to fake 3d. Since I already knew the basics of OpenGL I thought I could just simulate that look with opengl. Would this be easy to implement? Im trying to think of how it would be done...Since the wall's apperance really would not change, that would be easy. But I was thinking about monsters and players and such, like would there be a variable for each monster which direction its facing? Then perform some basic math and see if your to the "left" or "right" of it, or if your behind it, or in front of it. Im guessing its nothing too complex but ive never made anything depthful in opengl, or any large game at all, im just kinda scared to start it. Thanks

Advertisement
just billboard all enemies to achieve the effect you want :-) Don't forget to use rly rly low res textures and no filtering.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!