• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tracy_Coder

Need Opinions

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok here goes.. i will be getting my BS degree in computer science in May i have also for the past 2-3 years been reading game dev book after book. I have finally got to the point where i really feel confident in creating a game but i soon realized that a game was so much more than just code so i have attempted to create a rough draft so to speak of one of the characters for my game. Any opinions, comments, suggestions on how to make it better will be greatly appreicated. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/tracycoder/TakumiKaito.jpg BTW I am planning on the game to be an RPG (Final Fantasy style) i know that are thousands of people who attempt this type of game and fail but i really do understand all of the hard work that has to go into a game and really believe i can pull this off I also understand that it is not something im going to be able to complete in a couple of months but will take me more along the line of a couple of years especially since its just me right now working. So if anyone has any suggestions also on how to keep yourself motivated that would be great also!

Advertisement
Did you make that model yourself, if so thats really amazing. That could easily make a great game. I also liked the story line behind the character that you made. Nowadays, most of the games out there have a kind of empty storyline so more story, the better. I'm newer to c++, probably been doing it for about 1 month, but I've done a basic language in which I made some loooong projects. I think the best motivation is looking forward, not to the end of the project, but the end of the piece of code you are writing. ex: If your coding the characters pathfinding and you complete it, makes ya feel a lot more motivated. Probably one of the worst things you can do is look forward to the end of the whole game. If you do that your most likely going to end up crashin & burning because you'll find that it feels like your not making any progress, Imo neway.

Btw, I really like rpg's so some more motivation for you would be to throw your project into some kind of w.i.p. thread that way me and other people can check it out and will comment, suggest, and help you along the way.

Well thats my 2 cents, but goodluck and congratz for getting ur degree!

Peace,
Mason

Thanks for your input hearing comments like that just makes me even more motivated to finish this game! Yes i did create the model myself it took me about 2 weeks that is just an exported photo of the actual model once i get a little more done ill post an example directx program that shows off the final version of the character.

Mas0n: Btw, I really like rpg's so some more motivation for you would be to throw your project into some kind of w.i.p. thread that way me and other people can check it out and will comment, suggest, and help you along the way.

I am planning on doing this as soon as i get a little more art completed and finish my game engine which is probably at 85% complete right now. I dont really want to post my project until im 150% sure i can completed it.

I really appreciated your comments thank you very much!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!