Something like GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays or GL_NV_primitive_restart

Started by
3 comments, last by diegor82 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi everybody, Is there in directx something like GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays or GL_NV_primitive_restart, i.e. drawing more triangle-fans per single call? Thank you in advance, Diego
Advertisement
There are index buffer that people use for this.
Index buffers are used to draw a triangle strip list with a single call...
But what I am asking here is if there are Direct3D functions, able to draw multiple strips with a single call...
There isn't currently support in the PC version of Direct3D for re-starting/re-anchoring the current strip/fan primitive start point.

This is because up until recently, the majority of consumer PC graphics hardware (and their drivers) hasn't been able to do it natively (i.e. in hardware rather than faking it by converting to an indexed list inside the driver).

Degenerate "stitching" in your strips (most hardware handles indexed degenerates for free [or very close to]) and indexed triangle lists and are the best current alternative in D3D, and of course fans aren't of much use unless you're doing high poly cone and circle based things [wink]

Once re-starting/re-anchoring is widely supported in hardware, expect to see it in Direct3D (D3D10 will have a feature that allows this and much more...)

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thank you,

Diego

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement