• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spree

Sound ?

This topic is 4888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I want to start using sound in my game. Any good sound libraries out there you can suggest ? Thanks

Advertisement
Well it has to be free :P
And the more abilities the better, mp3 could be fun but wav format are wellcomed as well !

Quote:
Original post by spree
Well it has to be free :P
And the more abilities the better, mp3 could be fun but wav format are wellcomed as well !

mp3 is a licenced format, so it would definately blow your free requirement. [wink] I suggest Vorbis (.ogg) as an alternative format.

OpenAL is an excellent free library that would probably meet your needs. DirectSound is also a good option, and is used by a lot of people.

use fmod. it rules definetly. its free for uncommercial projects, and, hey, if u do a commercial game and get money u can pay the 2000$

Be careful if you decide to use OpenAL, this library is more low-level than others like FMOD and will require you to decode any audio format into raw PCM data before you can play it. If your looking for a library where you can simply load and play sounds out of the box then your better off with BASS or FMOD.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!