• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_gl_coder_one_

Fragment Programs on GeForce4 Ti 4200

This topic is 4824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have a geforce4 Ti 4200 graphics card The card does not support FRAGMENT_PROGRAM thus i would hav to use the BASIC PROFILES as mentioned in CG_TOOLKIT.pdf . Are there any good tutorials for writing pixel shaders without ARB_FP . I think there is some NV_20 thing ... Please help NOTE :: I had posted a similar problem on the NEHE forum by mistake and couldnt get any replies.

Advertisement
I don't believe that card has fragment program, you need to use NV Register Combiners. Cg will not compile to RC because NVidia is lazy and promised but never did it.

But you can use NVParse that uses a mock-script with Register combiners and Texture shaders. It will also parse DX8 asm shaders to some success... but the library is a pain to use in your code so be prepared to have to modify it quite alot.

Thanks "Name_Unknown"
CAn u suggest tutorials for Register combiners for a complete novice
I am at ease with OpenGL textureing and other things available in the
fixed funtion pipeline , am really new to shaders

Quote:
Original post by Name_Unknown
I don't believe that card has fragment program, you need to use NV Register Combiners. Cg will not compile to RC because NVidia is lazy and promised but never did it.

Yes, it can. You have to use the fp20 fragment profile in Cg.

Quote:
Original post by python_regious
Quote:

Yes, it can. You have to use the fp20 fragment profile in Cg.

Hmm, cool. Are you really sure though? The GF3/4 only have register combiners as far as I know ( for certain GF3, and I am sure GF4 only had a more advanved RC/TS). Well, if NVidia finally added support for those cards, than it is cool, and I apologize. I remember way back they kept promising and it never happened, and I gave up on Cg. My bad than.

Quote:
Hmm, cool. Are you really sure though? The GF3/4 only have register combiners as far as I know

Yes, I'm really sure [smile]. You're correct in saying that the NV20 series of cards only have RC/TS support.

Hey! Why didn't you download the lastest version of the NVIDIA Unified Driver?

It's right now in 7th version, and it provides FRAGMENT_PROGRAM function support for back end graphics card, like geforce3, geforce4 and geforce fx.

This driver compilates FRAGMENT_PROGRAM to GPU low level instructions, those are readable for old cards.

Quote:
Original post by leoptimus
Hey! Why didn't you download the lastest version of the NVIDIA Unified Driver?

It's right now in 7th version, and it provides FRAGMENT_PROGRAM function support for back end graphics card, like geforce3, geforce4 and geforce fx.

This driver compilates FRAGMENT_PROGRAM to GPU low level instructions, those are readable for old cards.

Er, no. Anything less than an FX series card does not support shader version 2 fragment programs - aka ARB_fragment_program. What you can do however is emulate the functionality, but that of course runs in software, and at about 0.1 fps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!