Is OpenML better then DX?

Started by
10 comments, last by Nemesis2k2 18 years, 9 months ago
It seems OpenML has produced a standardization factor similar to DX 9 standards. Does this make OpenGL slightly better then DX because of the open Source free support? Article: http://www.khronos.org/ Sony PS3 to go with open standards (OpenGL ES, Cg, Collada) to faciliate rapid content creation http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html
Advertisement
Too little too late. DX is the industry standard now. Doesn't matter if it's better or worse.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Ok, on the Console side - PS3 has decided to go with OpenGL because of it's open standards. So even that doesn't matter? I also read XBOX loses money for Microsft.

Right now for the PC, yes, I am working with DX primarily no doubt about it; but I was more wondering what PS3 was doing here and how that could be better for them. Here is a quote:

Sony PS3 to go with open standards (OpenGL ES, Cg, Collada) to faciliate rapid content creation
Quote:
July 23, 2005 At Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation meeting the company president showed off the development kit hardware and confirmed and the choice of open standards in order to facilitate rapid developer adoption and content creation. The Sony Playstation 3 will be using OpenGL ES for the 3D graphics API, NVIDIA's Cg shader language and tools (CG compiler, FX composer, ShaderPerf and PerHUD), and the development tools will also incorporate support for the COLLADA format for art asset interchange so that developers can share interactive 3D art among multiple platforms. This also opens the possibility that after the PS3's launch, the platform could be opened to general development to anyone, not just game developers. (In marked contrast to Xbox).

XNA is great but I don't think you can use it for PS3. Does that really matter? Whereas you can develop a game in OpenGL for the PS3 and XBOX at the same time?

One thing I can think of is the support and Customer service would be allot quicker and better with DX becase that's more of a money/commercial market
Well, what he ment is that DirectX is the standard for the Windows platform and XBox. But when it comes to other platforms, then OpenGL is the only thing to use.

Yes, XBox is loosing money, and thats because they started to compete with an already established market ( Nintendo, Sony ). But they are taking over more market shares every year, so they are getting closer and closer to turn it to profit.

So my advice is, if you want to make multiplatform apps, then you should go with OpenGL. If you want to make apps for Windows only, then either OpenGL or DirectX is fine. It's a matter of taste and preference. Personally, i have learnt both. That way im not stuck with one API, but can use both.
-------------------------------------------------Founder and DirectorAllSoft Studios
I'm not sure what you mean by the xbox loses money. Its true that MS loses money on each xbox sold, but so does Sony with each playstation 2 sold.

When you factor in XBOX software sales then its a huge money maker for MS. Acording to their last anual report the xbox division was VERY profitable. That's why they made it in the first place.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by Allmight
Yes, XBox is loosing money, and thats because they started to compete with an already established market ( Nintendo, Sony ).

Remember that Sony is only 1 console generation ahead of Microsoft. Sony also competed against established veterans of the industry when they started (Nintendo and Sega), but I don't remember anyone saying "PS1 is loosing money".

Quote:(chollida1) I'm not sure what you mean by the xbox loses money. Its true that MS loses money on each xbox sold, ...

No, it means that you, your grandma and your boss pre-paid for chunk of your Xbox when they bought their Windows' and Offices. See the table here.
Quote:... but so does Sony with each playstation 2 sold.

I wouldn't be sure about this, it is said that Sony actually makes some small profits on their console hardware too.

Quote:Acording to their last anual report the xbox division was VERY profitable. That's why they made it in the first place.

Xbox making profit was a big news, in the single quarter when Halo 2 came out.
Quote:Microsoft have seen the Home and Entertainment Division, which is responsible for the Xbox, posting a profit for the first time as sales rocketed

It is officially predicted that *entire* Xbox 1 bussiness, accounted from birth to death of the product, will *never* manage to earn for itself.
Quote:Although it still remains unlikely that the Xbox will ever break even overall, given the scale of losses in its life to date, achieving a profitable quarter is a huge milestone for Microsoft, (...)

If you account Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 projects together - the question stays open, of course.
"Dawn is a tramp." Dusk.
Quote:Original post by Telamon
Too little too late. DX is the industry standard now. Doesn't matter if it's better or worse.

Absolutely on the PC, but the PC has become a relatively small part of the industry.
According to this article PC games had $1.1 billion in sales in 2004. While console/portable games sold $6.2 billion. I can guarantee that the PS2/PSP/Gamecube/Gameboy do not run DX.

Regardless, the API shouldn't really matter - it's understanding the concepts behind 3D games and graphics that's important.
Quote:Original post by chollida1
I'm not sure what you mean by the xbox loses money. Its true that MS loses money on each xbox sold, but so does Sony with each playstation 2 sold.

When you factor in XBOX software sales then its a huge money maker for MS. Acording to their last anual report the xbox division was VERY profitable. That's why they made it in the first place.

Cheers
Chris

Nope nope. They're still losing money overall on XBox, when you factor everything in. They managed to turn a profit in one quarter (I believe it was when Halo 2 came out), but other than that, they're in the red.
Still, that's to be expected, considering who they're up against. And they're getting closer to being profitable, at least.
Quote:Original post by chollida1

When you factor in XBOX software sales then its a huge money maker for MS.

aye? where do u get that info,
the xbox has only ever once in its history made money in a quarter
in the most recent figures it LOST $164million
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8369
Ahh, that'll show me for looking at one quarter:) I stand corrected. it was only very profitable once:). Thanks for clearing that all up!

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement