• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_N

Modeling format

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you wish to create a new file-format( yes I have used the .X format... So please don't give me that tips :) ), for my Engine( using Directx, and Maya 6.0), but I'm a bit lost on how to do that.. Please if you have written any format, will you share how you did it?

Advertisement
There are two things you need to think about:

1. You're using Maya - what formats does it output? what can you export/save your data as?
- Do any of these contain the information in a usable form?
- Can you convert any of these formats into something you can use?
- Can you write a plug-in/extension for Maya to write a custom file for you. I know that this is often common-practice with 3DSMax users.

2. Are there any other libraries/commercial formats that fit what you want?
- A simple case of "why re-invent the wheel". If someone has published details on a suitable format, you can save yourself time and effort by using it. Maybe.
- Various game formats are documented on the net - Half Life (.mdl) and Quake (.MD3) seem popular with some people.

You'll have a lot of choices if you only need/want static geometry and simple materials, but as soon as you need animation and/or complex materials things will get tricky [smile]

hth
Jack

For my graphics engine I designed my model format to reflect as many features of Maya as I felt I could implement in a decent amount of time. I would suggest learning the Maya API and getting a feel for how Maya holds it data, and the relations between each node of the DAG path. In the end my model format turned into a list of nodes for each type of data I had, and then data within a node could either be defined within itself, or request an output from another node. For example a material node could use a color value, or request a color value output from a texture. The engine itself knows how to handle each instance. I then wrote a maya exporter to get my models from Maya to my model format.

Not really sure if that helps you, but that's what I did, got to rush off to work now...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!