[SOLVED]Index Buffer trouble

Started by
7 comments, last by thallish 18 years, 9 months ago
hi I'm having some trouble rendering a quad composed of two triangles in a triangle strip. I have been looking on google after the error i get when debugging: Direct3D9: (ERROR) :No valid index stream currently set. DrawIndexedPrimitive failed. What does this mean? I have used the function SetIndices before I'm calling the DrawIndexedPrimitive method and it dosen't report any error. Neither does any other of the relevant function calls(what I believe is relevant - maybe tou can prove otherwise :) ). I'll post the code

// Initialize four vertices 
	CUSTOMTILEVERTEX vertices[] =
	{
		{ 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,  0,255) }, // x, y, z, color
		{ 0.0f, 3.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(  0,255,  0) },
		{ 3.0f, 3.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(  0,255,255) },
		{ 3.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(  0,255,  0) } 
	};

// Create the vertex buffer. Here we are allocating enough memory
	// (from the default pool) to hold all our 3 custom vertices. We also
	// specify the FVF, so the vertex buffer knows what data it contains.
	if( FAILED( m_pd3dDevice->CreateVertexBuffer( 4*sizeof(CUSTOMTILEVERTEX),
		D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DFVF_CUSTOMTILEVERTEX,
		D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &m_pVertexBuffer , NULL ) ) )
	{
		MessageBox(NULL, "Couldn't create vertex buffer!!", "ERROR initializing VertexBuffer", MB_ICONERROR);
		return E_FAIL;
	}

// Now we fill the vertex buffer. To do this, we need to Lock() the VB to
	// gain access to the vertices. This mechanism is required because vertex
	// buffers may be in device memory.
	VOID* pVertices;
	if( FAILED( m_pVertexBuffer->Lock( 0, sizeof(vertices), (void**)&pVertices, 0 ) ) ){
		MessageBox(NULL, "Couldn't lock vertex buffer!!", "ERROR working with VertexBuffer", MB_ICONERROR);
		return E_FAIL;
	}
	memcpy( pVertices, vertices, sizeof(vertices) );
	m_pVertexBuffer->Unlock();

// creating an indexbuffer
	if (FAILED(m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(
		6*sizeof(WORD),
		D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY,
		D3DFMT_INDEX16,
		D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,
		&m_pIndexBuffer, 
		NULL))) {

MessageBox(NULL, "Couldn't create index buffer!!", "ERROR working with IndexBuffer", MB_ICONERROR);
			return E_FAIL;
		}

// specifying triangles
		// 1-2
		// |/|
		// 0-3
		// top-left
		WORD indices[] = {

{0}, {1}, {2}, 
			{0}, {2}, {3}
		};

VOID* pIndex;
		if(SUCCEEDED(m_pIndexBuffer->Lock(0, sizeof(indices), (void**)&pIndex, 0))){
			memcpy( pIndex, indices, sizeof(indices) );
			m_pIndexBuffer->Unlock();
			return S_OK;
		}

return E_FAIL;

if(SUCCEEDED(BeginRender())){

if(D3DERR_INVALIDCALL == (m_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource(0, m_pVertexBuffer, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMTILEVERTEX)))){
			MessageBox(NULL, "SetSteamSource failed!!!", "ERROR", MB_ICONERROR);
			EndRender();
			return E_FAIL;

}
		if(D3DERR_INVALIDCALL == (m_pd3dDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_CUSTOMTILEVERTEX))){
			MessageBox(NULL, "SetFVF failed!!!", "ERROR", MB_ICONERROR);
			EndRender();
			return E_FAIL;
		}
		if(D3DERR_INVALIDCALL == (m_pd3dDevice->SetIndices(m_pIndexBuffer))){
			MessageBox(NULL, "SetIndices failed", "ERROR", MB_ICONERROR);
			EndRender();
			return E_FAIL;
		}
		if(D3DERR_INVALIDCALL == (m_pd3dDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 0, 0, 4, 0, 2))){
			MessageBox(NULL, "DrawPrimitive failed!!!", "ERROR", MB_ICONERROR);
			EndRender();
			return E_FAIL;
		}
	}

Can anybody spot what the problem can be? regards thallish [Edited by - thallish on July 28, 2005 4:39:19 AM]
regards/thallishI don't care if I'm known, I'd rather people know me
Advertisement
hi

I tried the managed memory and that didn't make any difference ;-). Also tried to draw the quad without using indices and that works like it should. It's only when i try to draw indexed primitives i get the problem unfortunately.

EDIT: The problem could be somewhere else i just havn't got the slightest idea where

regards
thallish
I totally don't expect this to change anything, but perhaps you could use D3DLOCK_DISCARD when you lock your buffers, since you create them with D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY. But if that were a problem (which I doubt), I'd expect it to fail to lock, and thus you'd have error results and stuff like that.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
It almost sounds as if SetFVF(NULL) is being called, as if the FVF constant is 0. I don't know what that would do, but you could call SetFVF(NULL) and see if you get the same error, then chase down why the constant is 0...

EDIT: But you said it works for a DrawPrimitive call, so that shouldn't matter. Nevermind. Just for grins though, can you post your FVF define?
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
yep here is my vertex struct and my FVF

// A structure for our custom vertex typestruct CUSTOMTILEVERTEX{	FLOAT x, y, z; // The transformed position for the vertex	D3DCOLOR color;     // The vertex color};// Our custom FVF, which describes our custom vertex structure#define D3DFVF_CUSTOMTILEVERTEX (D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)

Agony it did exactly what you said. Error with locking. Think that's because i'm using a static buffer

regards
thallish
Perhaps the problem is in BeginRender()? What does it do? I also can´t point any problem in the code you posted, and since you don´t seem to be getting an error with all that locking, memcpy and unlocking stuff, both buffers seem to be just fine. Did you try to test whether m_pIndexBuffer is NULL or not? The error message quite bluntly states you don´t have an index stream set, though I´d say you´d have if m_pIndexBuffer really points to one?
maybe this is all wrong, but shouldn't there be four indices to render a triangle strip and not 6?
Hi there

Quote:Original post by thehan
maybe this is all wrong, but shouldn't there be four indices to render a triangle strip and not 6?

As I have understood, I need 6 indices and 4 vertices, Just for the fun of it I've tried to make it 4. Still no go.

Quote:Original post by matches81
Perhaps the problem is in BeginRender()?

My begin render simply contains the clear call and BeginScene(), if any of them fails, BeginRender() fails.

And i found out the freaking problem with the error. I got so worked up in looking at the methods that i totally forgot to check out where they get called and sure enough there the problem occured. Stupid me!! Sleeping on it helped.

this check : if(SUCCEEDED(render.InitVB()) && render.InitIB())

should have been: if(SUCCEEDED(render.InitVB()) && SUCCEEDED(render.InitIB()))

Ok now that's settled, there is only ONE TRIANGLE being drawn, the first on, with the order specified in the code.

Why is that? I believe it has something to do with the order of drawing. But the order i've specified dosen't work. I've tried to draw the last triangle in the order : 3, 0, 2 and 3, 0, 1 and the exact same triangle appears, which it shouldn't as i understand it.

Can someone shed some light on this matter?

regards
thallish
OK i got it now!!! As i'm pouring more coffee into my system, i'm realizing that a TRIANGLE_STRIP isn't the same as a TRIANGLE_LIST. Sorry for that ;-)

It all works perfectly fine now. Appreciate your help!

finest regards

Thallish

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement