Where to go from here: Console to 2D

Started by
9 comments, last by ildave1 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey all, I just finished 'Beginning C++ Game Programming' (thought it was great), but now i want to move on to making 2D games with OpenGL or DirectX (preferable DX), so i was looking for recommendations for a book that would be a good follow-up to take me through the process of making a 2D game, and also teaching me the concepts involved. Thanks for the help! Hauk
Advertisement
Well if you're willing to learn an older version of DirectX (Version 8) I can recommend Sam's Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days. It goes through and helps you create a whole RPG (this was one my first books.)
I would definitely second Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX. It's a very clear book that gently introduces you to doing 2D with DX.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Quote:Original post by aaroncox1234
I would definitely second Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX. It's a very clear book that gently introduces you to doing 2D with DX.

This is true, but I think it uses an outdated version of DX. If you want to stay up to date, get Beginning Game Programming by John S. Harbour (it's made by Course PTR). It uses DX 9.0b, and it even teaches some 3D stuff, but the version of Dev-Cpp it comes with is incompatible with DX, go figure, make sure you get the latest version here, or just get MSVC like the book tells you to :).

------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Don't be afraid to learn using an old version of DirectX. Especially if you want to start off with 2D stuff. What you're looking to learn is programming concepts and not just a particular API. While it's nice to learn an API the reality is that the API will continue to change so you'll always be relearning parts. The concepts on the other hand should stay fairly static.

Also keep in mind in the casual game space, where a lot of 2D game still live, the lower you can go on the system requirements side the more customers you can target. So if you can get your game running with DX7 on an old Pentium 2 then you're laughing.
If you want to do 2D with DirectX, I second what programwizard said. However, if your interested in something easier, you can also check out SDL or Allegro.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Quote:Original post by Stompy9999
If you want to do 2D with DirectX, I second what programwizard said. However, if your interested in something easier, you can also check out SDL or Allegro.

I would also suggest using SDL or Allegro for the start. It takes away some of the bad things but still teaches something about graphics. You can make very cool stuff (at least 2D) with it and afterwards you can use your gained wisdom when switching to OpenGL or DirectX. It is not completely different so it's not wasted time to learn it. It just takes away 90% of the frustration if you don't know much at the beginning. It's like crawling in childhood (console), then you get a bike with stabilizer wheels (SDL/Allegro) and then you ride a bike without help (OpenGL/DirectX). Riding the bike with the support wheels still teaches you a lot but prevents you from falling on your head too often which prevents you from putting the bike into a corner and never use it again because it hurt you more than it brought you :P
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Hmm, okay, I'll have a look at some of that stuff, and report back here. That Beginning Game Programming sounds like what i'm looking for! I'll definitley check out the rest.

Thanks guys!

Hauk
I´m in the same position of Hauk.

I was thinkink about doing my tetris clone. So should I start with one of the books recommended above and develop the game with DirectX, SDL or Allegro?

Cheers
I would just google for allegro and some tutorials related. It has great doc's as well. I started on it and I believe its a great introduction to using libraries in general and is plenty capable to make some great 2d games in. It even supports opengl through some addons if you get to that point later on.

SDL is equally suited and should certainly be looked at, you may like its style better. Either way just google for SDL or Allegro, or if you use dev-cpp just use the packge manager and get both. Then look up some tutorials Im sure there are very many.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement