• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
codemastermm

3D Model Walking

This topic is 4773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a 3D bipedal model (it's a ninja, but that doesn't matter) and he is at 14 frames per second if that helps at all. Basically, when he runs through his walking animation, how can I have him move properly? If I simply move him by one point everytime the user hits the 'up' key, it'll simply move the model and he'll walk in place, which won't be very attractive at all. Any tutorials or help concerning this would help dearly.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.. how can you know how to animate the model but not how to translate its position?

I was curious as if I had to move it in proportion the the length inbetween his feet or anything of that sort to make it seem more realistic or if the timing of frames would assit me in the realism.

You should choose a movement speed, then make the animation match up, not the other way around.

You could tag his feet somehow.. Like pick a vertex in each heel (or tip of his toes, whatever touches the ground). Measure how much the vertex moves in each frame, write it down, and that's how far you should move the model in that frame. This is somewhat like Quake, where each monster had a list of how much it should move forward for each frame.

Conversely, you can use the same data to find out the framerate you need to animate the model at in order to follow the movement speed in your game (E.g. the foot moves back 0.2m in this frame, the character is moving forward at 5m/s... The frame should be shown for 0.2/5 = 1/25th of a second). This is better for player characters because you could move at different rates.

When the player is stopped you should switch to a different animation (of the character standing still, picking his nose, leering about all ninja-like, etc).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!