• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
walton

Unity EA+Criterion 1-Year later.

This topic is 4883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks, I'm working on a case study regarding the dynamics of the post-EA/Criterion world. Initially there was a lot of noise coming out of the developer community about not trusting the Criterion under EA management. In retrospect has this panned out in practice or blown over? Where else are developers looking for professional game/render engines? Unreal seems to get the most respect with perhaps Gamebryo trailing. What are the pros and cons of going with these engines? Does either have the clout in the market to step up and fill Criterions shoes? Any insight you guys can offer is greatly appreciated many thanks, Walton

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I will be sparce on details, but the impression I got from experience at work is that this has not "blown over", though some conspiracy theories were a little over-the-top.

The major impact of the Criterion acquisition was the loss of the Renderware engine to other developers. I'm not sure if Criterion still licenses the engine, but even if they do many competing studios will not license tech that will profit EA. Pride, pigheadedness, business, all those reasons.

It's still another example of EA's assholeishness to have acquired Criterion, but in actuality it isn't that big of a deal. This is largely due to the fact that the PS2 is nearing the end of its life cycle. Criterion's RW engine was mostly necessitated by the insanely convoluted process of writing games for the PS2. With Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 and their more open approach to development there won't be such a great need for one company's engine. There will be multiple solutions, and the greater potential of building your own tech.

Anon - If you have any anecdotal evidence of this affecting engine selection, I’d love to hear it.

Tess – I was under the impression that due to risk mitigation alone a lot of publishers were pressuring for 3rd party engines for the 1st round of games on the new platforms. Have you had a different experience? I can certainly see how easier implementation would impact the 2nd round games. Although, I didn’t entirely follow your reasons for why there will be greater potential for custom engines. Are you referring to the commonality of hardware in the upcoming round, or better developer software resources from the console makers?

Guest Anonymous Poster
We did ditch Renderware as a result, yes. In all fairness, we've wanted to ditch it for a while, though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!