• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
samesam

Complete and Utter Noobie needs urgent help!

This topic is 4892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Thanks for reading my post first of all! Well anyway here is my question; Well i am an nutter noob, i just got a new E-mac and want to start making 3d games. I have had a search on google for "Free" Programs and have been very,very unsusscessful(sorry my spelling blows) I am wanting to know what programs there are out there for noobs like me. First of all the program must be relaltivly easy for noobs and most importanty FREE! And some tutrioals reccomendation would be helpful! Thank you, once again for even looking at my noob post and i really hope you can help!

Advertisement
If you have a new Mac, then it probably comes with a OS X DVD. On the DVD there should be something called XCode, which is a Macintosh development environment. You should be able to install that with just a few clicks.

Wow!

That was the quickest forum post i have every seen!

Thanks alot, as i am at school right now the 'Computer guy' has gone to get the cd what contains xcode!

Once again thanks alot and if you have tutriols please leave the links in this thread!

Quote:
Original post by samesam
Well i am an nutter noob, i just got a new E-mac and want to start making 3d games.

Since you're on a mac, you're going to need to use OpenGL for 3D games. The NeHe OpenGL tutorials are a good place to start.

You also are going to need to either take some programming classes or get some books and teach yourself to program. I'd recommend learning C++ (though you might want to take a look at Objective C since you're on a mac).

First off, you'll want to learn a programming language (I myself use C++, but Java is definitely excellent, and I suggest you give it a look), you can't just jump in right away and make 3D games. In fact, don't expect to be making 3D games for quite a while. Try making a bunch of simple little programs (anything from programs that take two numbers and average them, to eventually making a Guess My Number game, anything to get comfortable with the programming language).

Remember, also try to understand everything you code (don't just copy stuff or blindly type in code, not knowing what it's doing...understand it). Don't be afraid to reread sections of books over and over again and use multiple resources, because maybe different authors' styles can help an idea click.

Learning a language will take time, but with effort and dedication, you can succeed.

After you understand the language fairly well, choose which topic in 3D game development you're most interested in. Graphics? Sound? Physics? Game logic? Scripting language design? That's the beauty of game development, so many paradigms of exploration, each suited for different people, with different talents/interests.

After you choose, get a book on that topic and take your time, learning everything you can, and follow my advice that I gave on learning the language when learning a more game oriented aspect of programming.

Oh, and I'm speaking from experience, I am still a student of programming and game development myself (I consider myself an intermediate at C++, and am currently working my way through an OpenGL game programming book).

If you ever need more advice or anything, feel free to PM me.

Maledict

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!