• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
World69star

[java] Eclipse Problems

This topic is 4884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am trying to find a good IDE for java programming, I have been using notepad and sun's JDK J2se 1.5.up4. I have tryed netbeans 4.1, Jcreator(skimpy free version and JBuilder Foundation 2005.(And using JEDIT for small programs, can't use the compile plugin because it dosen't let you set the path it automatically defaults to winxp's Documents and settings as a home path.) Anyway I really like the way Eclipse looks and feels it's speed and interface, which is fine when am writing small programs or classes, but the Visual GUI Editor isn't standard by default. I tryed the software update for plugins in the help menu and tryed to install. When I try to use any of the plugins(I dloaded all the prerequisites for viseditor) I get a generic error messege: "Can't USE! X" So I searched a little on goggle and had very few results someone said to change to directory outside of c:\Eclipse, then instll So I Deleated Eclipse reinstalled and reinstalled the plugins in an external dir path. Now they show up when you goto new... Visual Class (ie. JFrame, Swing object, AFW , etc) the window loads for the Visual Editor but then the Error message popup comes and I can't do crap with it! ARRRGH..This seems like a great IDE and I would love to call it home, otherwise I may begoing way of Jbuilder or Netbeans. I see alot of people on here use EClipse could anyone help me with instructions on the plugins or a link to some useful info(Eclipse webpage is horribly unstructured spagetti-linked!!) Also If I can't get the plugin's to work which IDE is better for J2se game/APP/APPLet(non server service stuff) JBuilder Foundation 2005 or Netbeans? Sorry about this long 1st post on the forums hope to stick around for awhille.

Advertisement
Hey Everyone, my IDE problem is over, I still never got Eclipse to work properly, but that is ok.(It is over populated with alot of extra crap that I pobably won't need now in my java stage anyway.) My solution: I aquired a copy of IntelliJ Idea(Full Liscense) and It's great! I especially like how you can change the defaults very easily and everything is neat and simple(contrast to eclipse's conveluted mess.) The code helper is intuitive and everthing just seems to fit. I highly reccomend giving it a try if you haven't before. It rocks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!