• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ganoosh_

Mixing DirectInput with OpenGL?

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently working on an engine that uses OpenGL for rendering, but I need some good input system. The only one I know for Win32 that would do the job is DirectInput. But I'm hesitant on using it with OpenGL because I don't want to put dependecies on both DirectX and OpenGL(not that there's a computer out there browsing the internet right not that doesn't have some version of either). Would it be wise to do this do you think? Would you do it in your case? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Sounds like a good idea. If you use Direct Input from, let's say, DX5 you can be 99.9999% certain that most people can use it.

Well, from my point of view, it depends from what you want to do. If you are coding a 3d engine for a flight simulator, then direct input is a good thing for using a joystick...
but if you just want to use keyboard and mouse, win32 api is enough (using GetAsyncKeyState) and it will be easier to port your code to a non windows environment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!