• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
v1nce

Models and textures LOD

This topic is 4768 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Sorry for the newbie question. I've started writing a game engine, and now I'm in the process of creating models. I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb, of what LOD the details the models should have. In other word, what is the "optimal" number of triangles that I should render in a current frame ? Also what size of textures should I use ? I know that it depends on many factors (mainly hardware), but still I guess there is a reasonble amount or range. TIA, Vince

Advertisement
it is really depends on your game project. but in my opinion a 3d game engine should render "at least" 2000k polys per second with lighting and animation etc.. on current hardwares, this means 40k tris per frame @50fps.. i think this amount will be enough for most game projects.
but if your engine is based on per-pixel techs, the necessary and drawable polygon amount will be dicreased as expected.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!