Game Engine Question

Started by
6 comments, last by Squirm 18 years, 8 months ago
What does a game engine consist of? I don't think I know 100% what a game engine is. I mean, isn't your entire source code the game engine? That's what makes your game run, isn't it? If I asked someone to give me their game engine, what part of their code would they give me? The functions which handle the AI, sound etc? Or the code that leads up to it, and calls it, as well as the functions? I'm a little lost.
"Hard work pays off for the future; laziness pays off now"
Advertisement
Here's a link to wikipedia about game engines. Hopefully it'll make it more clear for you.
A game engine is the building blocks of a game.
To answer your question about asking some1 2 give u thier engine:
You would expect:

What u would get very much so depends on how advanced or basic the engine is.
For a bsic one you would have the rendering functions, window set up, keyboard input and prob sound.
Advanced ones is where you would get the AI functions, ur phsyic engines and stuff like that.

hope that helps :/
It is not a well defined term so don't worry too much about it.
Many developers try to reuse software parts. Only general parts can be reused and often these parts are reffered to as the engine. Yes, many times this includes rendering, sound, AI, input, resource management etc.

Cheers
Ahhh, ok. So if I had a function which drew a character, than would the engine actually consist of the glVertex3f's or whatever you're using to draw, or would it just consist of the for loops or whatever procedure you have to actually draw the character, or both? I would imagine the engine would also contain all parameters and returns for each function, aswell.
skittleo: but wouldn't gameplay include AI, collision detection, and all that? I thought they were part of the game engine.

Perost: thanks for the link. It really cleared things up.
Quote:Original post by Protocol_0
skittleo: but wouldn't gameplay include AI, collision detection, and all that? I thought they were part of the game engine.

Perost: thanks for the link. It really cleared things up.

The line is drawn all within your head. This is just my opinion.

AI - Pathfinding is engine. Unit controllers are gameplay.
Collision detection - engine

The gameplay code would be the specific code used for your game that cannot be easily reused across projects.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
I have generic code which I consider to be my game engine.
I have a physics library which is specific to only one game - it is completely innapropriate to anything else - I consider this to be a physics engine, but I don't consider it to be part of my game engine.

But that's just me. You can disagree if you like. I don't really care to be honest - it's an engine because I say so :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement