• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ivo Leitao

Most used terrain algorithm

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the most used terrain algorithm ? I have read somewhere that Black & White 2 uses a modified version of the geomipmapping algorithm, and that's the one i'm implementing right now. But i'm also interested in the geometry clipmaps algorithm by Hugues Hoppe (http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/), what i dont't know right now is if it suitable for games...

Advertisement
i think quadtree or octree is the most used algorithms for culling with terrains. also you may add pvs, occlusion etc. most used lod technique is standart if(sector is near) drawdetailed(sector); and if(sector is far) draw mipmapped(sector); ...bla bla.. but this causes artifacts and not used a lot.
the most used techniques are the easiest ones. :)

Quote:
Original post by stroma
i think quadtree or octree is the most used algorithms for culling with terrains. also you may add pvs, occlusion etc. most used lod technique is standart if(sector is near) drawdetailed(sector); and if(sector is far) draw mipmapped(sector); ...bla bla.. but this causes artifacts and not used a lot.
the most used techniques are the easiest ones. :)

Ok so geomipmapping for example is not widely used ? Are we reverting to a brute force approach where frustum culling and/or pvs rules ?

Quote:
Original post by Ivo Leitao
Ok so geomipmapping for example is not widely used ? Are we reverting to a brute force approach where frustum culling and/or pvs rules ?

I don´t think so... because GPUs become ever more powerful a good LOD algorithm may become less important for more games, since the GPU would be fast enough to draw all the stuff as is. But I also think that the current and upcoming power of GPUs combined with a good LOD algorithm that enabled nice terrain rendering on older hardware could / should deliver the possibility to render terrain with huge view distance. And I think that in games with first person or 3rd person perspective, where the view direction often is nearly parallel to the terrain plane, you won´t get around a good LOD algorithm if you try to achieve something near commercial quality since most games today tend to spend the more in power to get more details rendered right around the player, character models get more detailed, vegetation gets more detailed and so on... to render that much detail brute force for a long view distance would kill every GPU, I guess. So, no, for games using that perspective I don´t think, LOD will become "deprecated" too soon. But for games with a top-down view at fixed distance it might be quite soon. With a top-down view the programmer already knows how much could be going on the screen beforehand, the view distance isn´t far at all, so with something like GeForce 7800GTX or greater, he could get around using a LOD. On the other hand zooming is quite popular these days, so that "fixed distance" thing isn´t realistic. And gamers expect that new game to look better than the last one that ran fine on their last graphics card and won´t be interested whether you used LOD or not. So, even for top-down view, LOD would give you the possibility to use a medium / low LOD of a model for view from a distance, and when the player zooms in you could display a unit / building / anything in great detail which would show the player that his new hardware is used ;)

After all I don´t think LOD will disappear any time soon, because it normally saves GPU power at the expense of CPU power.... and since most commercial games are all about graphics, often got crappy AI (if at all ;) ), and leave the impression of being something like a graphics demonstration, GPU power is more valuable than that strange CPU thingie there, that doesn´t put any colorful things on the screen. :)

[edit] oh yeah... before I forget: Can´t help you with LOD algorithm, 'just' got started with that 3D programming stuff and never implemented one.

ok tnks a lot for your answer i think i will try diferent aproximations, and in the end i hoppe i can see the light :-). I will stick to my geomipmapping implementation, and maybe later i will try a diferent algorithm perhaps the one i mencioned...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!