• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vooood

game engine from scratch

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i want to make a game engine from scratch.. can you point me some good resources both in books and web-resources? thank you..

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by vooood
i want to make a game engine from scratch.. can you point me some good resources both in books and web-resources? thank you..

The books by Dave eberly are very good. Check is site at : http://www.geometrictools.com/

I second the above recommendation, as the David Eberly books 'Game Engine Design' and 'Game Engine Architecture' are the best pieces available on the subject.

wow! these books are definitely not affordable :) but looks like i've got to buy them :D

btw don't look at me as a newbie but i'm just way too much frustated right now.. i'm searching for good resources to learn game engine desing since dx9 is out and i'm still beginning it :( i know the basics and stuff but i just can't find any resources on putting the pieces together into a working engine..

Look also "Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX" by Vaughan Young and "Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines Using C++ and DirectX9" by Greg Snook. Both books using DirectX9 and C++.

If you are a newbie in DirectX, I suggest the "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank D. Luna. It uses also C++.

You can find info for the first 2 books at www.charlesriver.com and for the last book at www.moonlabs.com .

Another good book from the Andre' LaMothe series (the green books. are any of them NOT good?) is called "and here's where I forget the name" but it has something to do with Roleplaying in the title. I believe it's written by Jim Adams.

Game engines :)
What a nice topic. I think that by looking at how real engines work you can hack your way around building a game engine.

I am definitely not near experienced enough to discuss this topic but being money limited I tend to look at how life works.

A real engine uses gas

1) Gas goes from the tank to the injectors via the fuel pump
2) It then gets injected to the combustion chamber via the injectors
3) The piston moves up. The spark plug ignites the fuel.
4) The piston moves down from the blast. (combustion occurs)
and so on... now the petrol/fuel is kept seperate until it needs to be used. It's kept in a storage area...

This in a very funny way applies to game engines.
Or this is how I see it...
You have your entityList and in that list you store the entities until you need to use them or move them. You inject the entities into your engine when you initialize them and they are used for the time they are needed and then discarded.

What do you guys think?
I hope this is of some value to anyone...

Yes, Programming Role Playing Games. I thought he had a new edition for DX 9, but maybe not. Anyway, it's not a book to design an engine for a game company. In my opinion, it just gets the thoughts flowing, gets some concepts on the paper so to speak, and starts the creativity process that ends in an engine design. It's good for making simple games though.

One more suggestions. Write your design down. Don't just figure it out in your head and as you go. There is some level of value gained in "as you go" design, but have something down. The main parts, as Pieter pointed out, are the ones you want to have in place. Make it as modular as you can, but don't overkill. Use a UML diagramming software to layout the class design and what you expect, as well as how each communicates with each other. You might save some time in the end.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!