• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PinoyGuy

I can't compile!???

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I just bought beginning c++ game programming by Michael Dawson. My problem is that everytime I try to compile it tell me on my compile log that permission is denied. Can anybody help me?

Advertisement
Compile what?

Is it code on a CD that you are trying to compile directly?

CDs are generally read-only... you'll need to copy the files to your hard-drive first. Otherwise, the compiler will be trying to put the compiled files on the CD... whoopsie.

What compiler are you using?
What are the compiler commands issued?
What error messages do you get?
[optional] Show us your sourcecode!

I am using the Dev C++ compiler.

I can't even type the source code to "Hello World" without it messing up on me.

The error message I get is Permission Denied.

And yes I WAS trying to compile off the cd, thanks.

What do you mean?

I can't really look at it right now, because I am at a library. I don't have internet at my house. But, this i swhat i do. I open up my compiler I type in my code and then i click on compile and run, well on my compile log ot says permission denied, which has me believe that it is not even compiling.

hey.. im sitting with the same book, had same problem.. you need to copy the code from the CD to your hardisk. then open the file from your HD and compile that..
or if you do as you say in your last post, check where the output filen will be saved, if you try to save them to the CD, you get premission denied. make sure they will be compiled (and your .cpp is saved) in a folder on your harddisk
-niux

Quote:
Original post by PinoyGuy
I open up my compiler I type in my code and then i click on compile and run, well on my compile log ot says permission denied, which has me believe that it is not even compiling.

Before compiling, it needs to save the file. Is the compiler on the CD or on your hard drive? Where does it try to save the file? In other words, what is its "current working directory"?

the current directory is my cd, I did not know that I had to copy it to my hard disk.Is that really all I have to do? I thought maybe I had to download a patch or something for win 98. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.

Quote:
Original post by PinoyGuy
Is that really all I have to do?

As far as I can tell, yes. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!