Angels 20 v0.8.2 Update *Feedback Requested*

Started by
7 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone. A while back I created a thread for my game, Angels 20, and got some good feedback from it. Well, I updated the game and incorporated a lot of the feedback I recieved from the thread, and my developers journal. Here is a list of the stuff I changed/added: -Easier Controls and Physics -Revised Flak Mechanics -New Level to play in -Special Effects such as vapor trails and water spray -Improved textures -The ability to restart the level without closing the game If anyone is interested, please download the new version and tell me what you think about it. Angels 20 version 0.8.2 Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2 Screenshot 3 Screenshot 4 [Edited by - Sir Sapo on August 6, 2005 3:06:17 AM]
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
Very cool :-D

I really like the way you put it together, has a very nice old school feel.

Maybe you could have some text or some kind of notification appear when your plane crashes, maybe "You Crashed! Press R to restart."

Also are you planning on adding addition types of planes? Or are you going for more of the story based kind of thing, where you control a single pilot/plane and guide him through his journey?

I liked the selection of weapons you have in there already, are you planning on adding more? For instance a bomb that breaks into many smaller bombs right before impact and blankets an area...or maybe a A-Bomb that clears the screen of enemys?

It's somewhat hard to aim the gun at first beacuse of how fast the plane is moving, but I got used to it, are you making the world updates FPS independent?

Another idea: massive explosions when you crash into the ground, if you look at footage of planes crashing, it's quite nasty, with all the fuel/weapons and such.

I'm sure you've thought of all this sutff already :-)

I'm curious to see where you go with the game, I'll keep playing around with it some more and give you some additional feedback. Keep up the good work.

- Dan

[Edited by - dgreen02 on July 28, 2005 3:03:25 PM]
Quote:Original post by dgreen02
Very cool :-D

I really like the way you put it together, has a very nice old school feel.

Maybe you could have some text or some kind of notification appear when your plane crashes, maybe "You Crashed! Press R to restart."

Thank You :D, Yeah, I'm adding htat text right now, good call.

Also are you planning on adding addition types of planes? Or are you going for more of the story based kind of thing, where you control a single pilot/plane and guide him through his journey?

I liked the selection of weapons you have in there already, are you planning on adding more? For instance a bomb that breaks into many smaller bombs right before impact and blankets an area...or maybe a A-Bomb that clears the screen of enemys?

The game is going to be (I hope :D) story driven, where you play as a pilot on a carrier, and as the story progresses the locales change , etc.

I might add a map specific weapon (like the A-bomb for instance) for special missions, but I probably wont be adding any more standard weapons.

It's somewhat hard to aim the gun at first beacuse of how fast the plane is moving, but I got used to it, are you making the world updates FPS independent?

I'm going to add an aiming line that will show up when you hold the spacebar, and the bullet fires when you release it.

Unfortunately, the updates are FPS dependant, and I cant change that without rewriting half the code[crying].

Another idea: massive explosions when you crash into the ground, if you look at footage of planes crashing, it's quite nasty, with all the fuel/weapons and such.

I'm sure you've thought of all this sutff already :-)

I'm curious to see where you go with the game, I'll keep playing around with it some more and give you some additional feedback. Keep up the good work.

- Dan

Yeah, my particle effects look like fireworks, so I'm going to try and add an explosion sprite that animates behind the explosions to make it look more destructive.

Anywasy, thanks for the feedback, good luck at the IGF with Gang War!

Great! You fixed that thing that made it go really slow on my computer.
What was the bug if I may ask?

Well anyway It looks good and plays good, I have no doubt that It will be a great game when its done :)
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Great! You fixed that thing that made it go really slow on my computer.
What was the bug if I may ask?

Well, I was initializing new game objects without deleting the old ones. So whenever something spawned, you fired your gun, etc, the memory from the old object was lost and new memory was taken up. In short , Huge Memory Leak. But I learned my lesson, and that's why it runs alot better now.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well anyway It looks good and plays good, I have no doubt that It will be a great game when its done :)

Thank You [grin]. BTW, what are the specs on the computer you tested it on?

Quote:Original post by Sir Sapo
BTW, what are the specs on the computer you tested it on?

Athlon 2400+
Radeon 9600pro
512mb ram
WinXp sp1
Thanks

Just a few ideas to improve gameplay:

1. More forgiving landing- weird drifting and controls and/or
'physics' need modification
2. More developed weapon select screen- rotating texture is
starting to seem primitive/lazy
3. Scaling- scale down rescue chopper and scale up parachute up
slightly
4. More spare airplanes- can be dependent on difficulty level (if
we enable those)
5. Auto-ejection on botched landings-when you crash while
landing, there is not enough time to eject and dying after
successfully dive-bombing a sam site from high altitude
seriously reduces the fun factor
6. Better smoke particles- Have the type of texture/particle
thing from the contrail apply to other particles as well
7. Better weapon switch dynamics on carrier- weapon selection
controls make little sense (right arrow switches between
rockets and bombs, while down switches to Commie Raper) just
seems odd altogether.
8. Truck bomb collision- still weird sometimes, maybe the angle
of impact affects the impact itself.

Besides that, I really enjoyed the game, dive bombing brings me back to my days in the "Great War" [grin]

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Hello Everybody,

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I recently updated the demo of Angels 20, and I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. Let us know what you guys like about the game, and what you hate. Heres a link to the updated version:

Angels 20 v0.8.2

Here's a list of additions since the past version:
-Damaged Texture Maps
-Repair Trucks that must stop to repair stuff
-Laser Designator to help aim weapons
-Minor Miscelanious Gameplay Tweaks

Again, Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I decided to use this one instead of creating another.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement