More Questions

Started by
17 comments, last by Srekel 18 years, 7 months ago
While I was at work, thinking about the contest instead of coding. I started realizing some problems with what the rules are exactly so heres a list of things I was wondering about. -Are youa allowed to add another element to the game besides the basic 2 You will need to have. EX: Ninja, Pirates and then you add Evil Monkeys to the game theme. -Is music a factor? -Do you need some kind of story to the game, becasue the game Iam thinking about wouldnt have one. -If I come up with anymore questions Ill probally post some more on the same thread, anyone else with questions feel free to use my same Post. Edit--- I also had a suggestion, I was wondering do you think Along side the prizes the top 3 Winners could get a plaque That says "Gamedev.net\n2005 Game developing contest\n 1st place" I think everyone would like to get some sort of plaque or trophy if they rank in the top three, so they can hang it somewhere. I know I would Edit--My game will 95% have Ninjas and Pirates in them will I still qualify if you dont see ACTUALY human pirate, but only a Pirate ship? [Edited by - TempHolder on July 28, 2005 3:33:37 PM]
Advertisement
well i'm not a judge so don't take my words as fact, but i'll help as much as I can.

- Of course you can add as many extra elements as you want, just as long as your game has 2 of the main elements.

- Probably add it adds to the overall presentation, but i wouldn't say its a huge factor.

- Story is also not a huge factor, if say your game is say platformer, and RPG and it would obviously be important.

- probably a pirate ship will do, most the rules are only a guideline, you can fill the blanks
Quote:Original post by TempHolder
-Are youa allowed to add another element to the game besides the basic 2 You will need to have. EX: Ninja, Pirates and then you add Evil Monkeys to the game theme.
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
-Is music a factor?
Probably, yes, though off the top of my head I can't remember which category it'll be covered by.

Quote:
-Do you need some kind of story to the game, becasue the game Iam thinking about wouldnt have one.
Not necessarily. If a story wouldn't be suitable, don't try and shoehorn one in - doing so will cost you game design points. (Conversely, if your game is begging for a story and you don't bother with one, you'll lose game design points). Tetris did pretty well without a story. [smile]

Quote:
Edit--- I also had a suggestion, I was wondering do you think Along side the prizes the top 3 Winners could get a plaque That says "Gamedev.net\n2005 Game developing contest\n 1st place" I think everyone would like to get some sort of plaque or trophy if they rank in the top three, so they can hang it somewhere. I know I would
That's a pretty cool idea - at the very least a certificate or something. We'll think about it.

Quote:Edit--My game will 95% have Ninjas and Pirates in them will I still qualify if you dont see ACTUALY human pirate, but only a Pirate ship?
The question to ask yourself is "If I got a random guy from off the street in to play my game, would he think that it has pirates in?"

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Even more questions ( I know... Iam filled with them ^_^ ) anyhow I was wondering will extra points be giving If we do hand in our source?, and in the same sense will points be taken away if we dont?. Another question is that if Iam correct the contest stated that kudo points will be given, if the judges see that the programmer went above and beyond to create the game, does that mean if we make the engine ourselves we get extra points? just wondering.
Even more questions ( I know... Iam filled with them ^_^ ) anyhow I was wondering will extra points be giving If we do hand in our source?, and in the same sense will points be taken away if we dont?. Another question is that if Iam correct the contest stated that kudo points will be given, if the judges see that the programmer went above and beyond to create the game, does that mean if we make the engine ourselves we get extra points? just wondering.

If I hand in my sourcecode, I'm sure that points will be taken away [smile]
Ok another question this one was brought to mind by my freind, who I told about the competetion and who is entering now. Will it still count as a element if you combine 2 elements to create one, like example: Zombie Pirates, or Robot Ninjas, would that still count as using a element?. And if it does does it count as 2 elements or 1 element?
Even more questions ( I know... Iam filled with them ^_^ ) anyhow I was wondering will extra points be giving If we do hand in our source?, and in the same sense will points be taken away if we dont?.
No and no. It'd be unfair on the people who can't hand in source (e.g. because they used Game Maker to make their entry).

Quote:Another question is that if Iam correct the contest stated that kudo points will be given, if the judges see that the programmer went above and beyond to create the game, does that mean if we make the engine ourselves we get extra points? just wondering.
No comment.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ok another question this one was brought to mind by my freind, who I told about the competetion and who is entering now. Will it still count as a element if you combine 2 elements to create one, like example: Zombie Pirates, or Robot Ninjas, would that still count as using a element?. And if it does does it count as 2 elements or 1 element?

I think we've ruled that as counting as two elements.

New Question: I was wondering about kudo points, like what you would consider going beyond what we were told to do, I was just wondering if you could give me hypothetical situations, I was also wondering if our game has multi-platform support will we get kudo points?
It'd probably be a bad idea for me to cite specific things that will earn kudos points, because there's no hard-and-fast rule. It's things which are clearly deserving of points, yet might not fit into the clearly defined categories.

Don't focus on trying to score them - focus on trying to score maximum points in the other areas, and then add more cool stuff once you've achieved that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement