Primitive Pong

Started by
5 comments, last by Mr_Fhqwhgads 18 years, 8 months ago
Well, I finished it! My first Irrlicht and my first C++ game ever, so go easy on me ;). Player 1's controles are A Z Player 2's Controles are K M Download: http://www.christiangaming.org/graphics/users/stormtrooper/primitivepong.zip Screenshot: http://www.christiangaming.org/graphics/users/stormtrooper/primitivepong.jpg
Blupix Games
Advertisement
Nice one. Have you done the background flame yourself? It looks beautiful but my eyes hurt after a while.
One thing: the ball sprite is clearly visible as a rectangle (when moving through the fire).
A) The background is a 3D Particle System
B) I tried making the sprite by using transparent png, but the engien doesn't support it. Then I tried using code to make the sprite transparent, but it messed up the particle system.
Blupix Games
I just gave a quick look and noticed a few things:

1) There doesn't seem to be any boundaries for the paddles (they can go right off of the screen!)
2) The collision detection is a bit off, it seem to detect collisions with the backs of the paddles instead of the fronts, causing a couple of confusing deaths
3) You might want to think about letting the paddles move smoothly instead of making them move in discrete intervals
4) I don't know anything about Irrlicht, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't offer a way add transparancy to the ball and paddles without affecting the particles

Otherwise, good job. Just keep at it. [wink]
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:Original post by ursus
Nice one. Have you done the background flame yourself? It looks beautiful but my eyes hurt after a while.

Quote:Original post by Mr_Fhqwhgads
A) The background is a 3D Particle System

That much is obvious; I believe he was asking if you wrote the code for it yourself.

______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Basicly, with irrlicht you creat an emitter, you tell it what sprite you want it to emmit, you change all these color properties, angles, and position. Sorry for not being specific the first time.

I am working on V2, which I will try to make smoother movements. And I have already added better colision detection. I'm hoping to add AI so you don't NEED a 2nd player. Then maby make V3 with online play.
Blupix Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement