• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Trapper Zoid

How much time does it take to do 2D tile art?

This topic is 4766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Be forewarned, I'm quite naive in the world of computer artwork, so might be a bit of a newbie question. I'm presently working on the design of a hobby game (it's a sort of resource management, SimCity/Rollercoaster Tycoon type game), and I'm wanting to have a rough estimate of how long each stage will take to get a feel of the expected timeline. Since I'm partially building my game as a learning experience, and I'm aiming for a "jack-of-all-trades" skill set, I'm planning on doing everything myself. From my current skill set I'm fairly certain I will be able to do in a timely manner the game design, software architecture and A.I. design, programming, writing and music. What I'm not sure about is the artwork. I've got a limited skill in creating cartoonish figures, and with a dint of effort I can make some anime-ish pictures that aren't completely awful. I've also created a few icons and games with pixel art a while back that were half decent, so I'm thinking of aiming for a SNES-style pixel art look to my game, based on tilesets. I'm hoping that once I choose and learn a tool for pixel art I can create good artwork quickly; however, I have no idea how long it will take to create a tileset with my skills, so I'm not sure how much time to budget for it (I'm aiming to get this finished by the end of next year, which might be a bit optimistic for a hobby project).
The Question: For those of you who have already completely your own pixel art, how many man-hours would you say it would take to create a detailed pixel art game, for example a SNES RPG? Or if you've already created a full set of artwork for a game, how long did it take you?
Also I've always considered 2D artwork to be easier than 3D, mainly because I have no experience with 3D modelling. Would it be quicker for someone with a strong programming and mathematics background such as myself to design this as a 3D project? I have no idea how hard it would be to create a full set of textures and 3D models for a game, although this game type (SimCity style) lends itself better to 2D in my opinion. But at this stage I could design the game to be 3D, if the general consensus was that this was easier from an art perspective; I've just got no idea. Any answers or thoughts? Any helpful advice from those with more experience at art would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
The answer you might get is it will depend on the number of tiles, complexity of graphics, quality required, tools available and your skill.
I am no good at art but some tools can help.
I have Poser (render 2D characters from 3D which I then colour in PS7) and World Creator 2.5
If you're no good at art then WC 1.5 (freeware) might be something to look at
as it takes textures and applied them to 'masks' to form buildings, objects etc. It can really increase productivity...
http://www.inet2inet.com/Main/Main.htm

id say it takes a while. i did texture work on my Zelda-clone using Zelda classic, which was pretty much snes graphics. I spent months on that, and barely got a dent in it. But i was trying to do a whole helluva lot by myself, like full screen animations, and what not.

sidenote: i loved every second of it

as for 3d, i think 3d is a whole helluva lot more complex. not only do you still have to make 2d texutres, but you have to make the models and try to get them to work right in-game (which is what ive been going through for hte past month, and still havnt gotten it to work)

goodluck!

id say it takes a while. i did texture work on my Zelda-clone using Zelda classic, which was pretty much snes graphics. I spent months on that, and barely got a dent in it. But i was trying to do a whole helluva lot by myself, like full screen animations, and what not.

sidenote: i loved every second of it

as for 3d, i think 3d is a whole helluva lot more complex. not only do you still have to make 2d texutres, but you have to make the models and try to get them to work right in-game (which is what ive been going through for hte past month, and still havnt gotten it to work)

goodluck!

3D can be easier in some ways, you don't need to make your game 3D, just take 2D snapshots of 3D models. As Tonyg said, it all depends on your level of skill. I would recommend trying out 3D modeling with WC and perhalps Wings3D or Blender for abit and see how it feels.

Quote:
Original post by Gyrthok
3D can be easier in some ways, you don't need to make your game 3D, just take 2D snapshots of 3D models. As Tonyg said, it all depends on your level of skill. I would recommend trying out 3D modeling with WC and perhalps Wings3D or Blender for abit and see how it feels.

That's true; I could just make 3D models and image them in 2D (which would make 90 degree world rotation a lot easier; I'm debating whether I'll include that feature or not); I'll have a look at Blender, Wings3D and WC (is that WorldCreator?) and see what the results look like. However, when I image what the game looks like in my head it looks like a pixel art SNES RPG; there's something about that art style that I think goes quite well with the game, so maybe I'll budget a weekend of experimentation to see what I can do. I did do a tileset for a simple Commander Keen-esque platformer ages ago when I was testing out one of the GameMaker kits (complete with overhead world), and from memory that didn't take me that long (and didn't look half bad, either), so maybe it would be possible.

Another question: pixel art seems to be possible with nearly any art tool; all that's required is a 1x1 brush. For anyone who has created a lot of pixel art, is there a free (or at least cheap) tool they recommend? (Note: I'm prepared to get myself a copy of the latest Paint Shop Pro if there's some great recommendations for that, as I remember doing some great stuff with a shareware copy of Paint Shop Pro 3 years ago (I quite liked the interface); however that's about the limit of my budget for software. Photoshop is right out of my price range [smile]).

Quote:
Original post by mike25025
For creating 2d art try the GIMP.

I have tried the GIMP, although it doesn't exactly have what I'd call an "intuitive interface". I suppose I should try the latest version a bit more though; I was put off the GIMP for a while when I spent two hours trying to find and use the "draw polygon" tool for a simple picture consisting of triangles.

Is the GIMP actually good for pixel art though?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use GraphicsGale for pixel art and it works quite well.

The best and easiest thing you will get for free is MS Paint when it comes to doing pixel art. I did a tile set of 1100 tiles in about 2 months of working only on weekends. And hundreds of char. animations during the week. So yes, its takes time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!