• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gnomer

division and modulus to determine palindrome

This topic is 4766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am fairly new to C++ programming. I've had a few classes in the past but that was a while ago so I'm pretty much starting all over. I am currently working my way through the textbook "C++ How to Program 4e". The book has exercises after each chapter which I try to do as many of as I can figure out. The problem is that most of them have no documented solution so I come to you all here for help. I am only just finishing Chapter 2: Control structures. The next chapter is functions, to give you an idea of where I am. So the solutions at this point should be pretty basic. For anyone with the book the exercise is 2.29 and it reads as follows. "A palindrome is a number or a text phrase that reads the same backwards as forwards. For example, each of the following five-digit integers is a palindrome: 12321, 55555, 45554 and 11611. Write a program that reads in a five-digit integer and determines whether it is a palindrome.(Hint: Use the division and modulus operators to separate the number into its individual digits." I just can't figure this one out. I'm probably approaching it totally wrong. I hope I am posting this in the proper forum. If not please direct me to the right place. :) Looking forward to any assistance offered. Thanks!

Advertisement

char string[256];
char *end = string[strlen(string)];
char *start = string;

while (*(end--) == *(start++) && end != start) {}
if (end != start)
// not a palindrome

That's not tested, but if it doesn't work, it'll at least give you an idea how to do it.

I think your solution is more advanced than the chapter I am on. I'm not sure when I get into pointers and arrays. I think those are pointers if I remember correctly. :)

I'm guessing the solution using the material I've covered so far would be very inefficient but so far it eludes me. I'll keep trying though.

oh and I did try your code just to see the result but I get this error:
"error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char' to 'char *'"

Thanks for taking a look at my problem. :)

no that don't seem appropriate.

#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <sstream>
#include <string>

bool is_palindrome (const std::string& str)
{
return std::equal(str.begin(),str.end(),str.rbegin());
}
bool is_palindrome (const int numb)
{
std::stringstream a;
a << numb;
return is_palindrome(std::string(a.str()));
}

int main ()
{
std::cout << is_palindrome(535535) << std::endl; // this should return true
std::cout << is_palindrome("racecar") << std::endl; // this should return true
std::cout << is_palindrome(1121146890) << std::endl; // this should return false
std::cout << is_palindrome("ghhjjjdfi") << std::endl; // this should return false
return 0;
}

Easy-shmeezy[smile]

Some hints on how to break the number into it's digits:

Observe that modding a number by ten yields the right-most digit: 386 % 10 = 6; 62 % 10 = 2. Also, integer division by ten, ignoring remainder, effectively takes off the rightmost digit: 386 / 10 ~= 38; 62 / 10 ~= 6.

The rest of the problem is easy. For an n digit number, check that digits 0 and n are equal; then check 1 and n-1; then 2 and n-2; then 3 and n-3; and so on and so forth until you use up all the digits, or arrive at a single middle digit.

If all outer pairs were equivalent, then the number is a palindrome. Else, it's not.

EDIT: All you need for this is an array (in fact, you don't *need* this, but it would really clean up the code) and two loops (the kinds of which are up to you; one loop to find the digits, another to determine if it's a palindrome).

HTH,
nilkn

You probably aren't aware of this, so I'll just tell you [smile]

In C++, division by integers results in automatic truncation of the results. So if the result is in actuality a decimal, C++ will just cut off that decimal part, leaving just the integer portion.

For example:

// Continuing the above examples:
int operand1 = 386;
int operand2 = 10;

int result = 386 / 10;

// Of course, the *actual* quotient is 38.6, but since
// all three operands are of type 'int', C++ automatically
// truncates the 6 off. Thus, result == 38.

ok here is what i came up with. very basic and most likely severely inefficient given the topics covered so far in my book... But, it seems to work :P

#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;

int main()
{
int number;
int n1, n2, n3, n4, n5;
bool isPalindrome = true;

cout << "Enter a 5 digit number: " << endl;
cin >> number;

n1 = number / 10000;
cout << "First digit: " << n1 << endl;
n2 = (number % 10000) / 1000;
cout << "Second digit: " << n2 << endl;
n3 = (number % 1000) / 100;
cout << "Third digit: " << n3 << endl;
n4 = (number % 100) / 10;
cout << "Fourth digit: " << n4 << endl;
n5 = number % 10;
cout << "Fifth digit: " << n5 << endl;

if( n1 != n5 )
isPalindrome = false;
if( n2 != n4 )
isPalindrome = false;
if(isPalindrome)
cout << "The number is a palindrome" << endl;
else
cout << "The number is NOT a palindrome" << endl;

return 0;
}

i couldnt get it into a loop form like you suggested...would i need an array for that? maybe im just too tired to think of a way :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!