• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mushu

[4E4] Project gone Communist

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yeah, classes are starting soon, and I haven't had any time in the past couple months (between work, study, and work) to get any work done at all on my 4E4 entry. I promised that I'd open up everything if and when this happened, so here it is - everything I've done so far. 4E4 Design Doc 4E4-Specific Code Common headers needed to compile project Also note that you'll need the SDL SDK to compile it, though I think the dll is in there if you want to just run the executable. IIRC, I was adding in the units when I stopped working on it, which you can see from the unfinished design doc at the very end. So yeah. I don't expect anyone to actually DO my project, but do take the time to read over some of the design doc (especially if you're making an RTS) and see if you can glean some of my ideas. I'd really love to see the zombie portion implemented in someone else's game; that was one of my best ideas for the project, I think. Whatever. I put a lot of effort into this, and I'm really sorry I wasn't able to get more done. Maybe in a couple years when I have some real experience coding I'll actually be able to get things to work.. or something. Sorry I don't have the time to beat you all [wink] EDIT: actually, now that I read through it there's a lot of stuff I scratched out that's still in the doc (ports for all races, pirate land buildings, and some other stuff). lol. EDIT2: NooOOooO! I forgot that I took out the Flying Dutchman! Its still mentioned in the pirate race description, but not in the unit list. <3 flying pirate ships :( EDIT3: lol, I have that maploader crap I typed when I was drunk in there still. If you see that, just ignore it, maps can easily be loaded from a bitmap, or something similar.

Advertisement
Very ambitious! Especially for a one-man crew. Didn't read all of it, but it sounded fun.

Although I have to recommend that the next time you make a game, try to limit yourself. :) It is a lot of work, making a game. And you got four races with 5-10 units and buildings each. Even if you implemented them and created all graphics, you'd still have to balance it.

Still, very interesting, and thanks a lot for sharing the design. I'm always interested in stuff like that.

That's disappointing, looks like a pretty cool game :(

I noticed that at the top of your design doc you link to a page describing the marching square algorithm. What were you planning to use this for?

Yeah, I remember now. I was going to use the Marching Squares to render the fog-of-war nicely.

And its not like the project was overly complicated. I just don't have enough time on my hands to do much of anything these days...

As per the artwork, the Final Solution was to hire a pixelartist for all my dirty work once the engine was in a playable state. But the engine never got there, so the artist was never hired, so... yeah.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!