• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ManaStone

What is the standard field of view angle?

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
90 iirc. Though at least when I played often, most of the upper echelon players would bump that closer to 120.

Depends on the game and what you're going for. Quake was 90 degrees from left to right (45 from view normal to side of frustum). I think some of the clancy games were around 80. 3rd person cameras tend to be variable based on context IMO.

90 degrees (PI / 4) seems the most common. I believe nemesis2k2 was just measuring the viewing angle...

Quote:
I believe nemesis2k2 was just measuring the viewing angle..

Yeah, after I finished reading his post, the only thing that stuck was "view angle".

It depends -- I've worked on games with all sorts of wierd FOVs. For Quake and other shooters, if possible, I will make my fov 110-120 but I prefer 90 for most games. I feel more immersed when I can see more of the scene (like you would in real life). It's like a panoramic picture vs a portrait -- the wide angle is more realistic. But there are other games where a much smaller FOV is desireable. But unless it calls for something else, I'd default to 90 degrees.

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
90 degrees (PI / 4) seems the most common. I believe nemesis2k2 was just measuring the viewing angle...

PI/2 you mean...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!