• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pirosan

vector from quaternion?

This topic is 4883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a quaternion class that works (finally) and rotates my object with ease. Now, i want to be able to get a vector from my quaternion, finding out what direction it is pointing... i want to do this to be able to move the object in the direction it is pointing (for a space sim). i also want to use this so i can have a lookat vector so that i can point my camera in the direction the ship is pointing. Any ideas? Cheers

Advertisement
For this to work your object just needs a front facing vector (a vector pointing in the direction your object is facing when it is not rotated). Then rotate this vector using the quaternion as you would normally rotate a vector (for example by using the rotation matrix from the quaternion)...

Tom

ok i created a create4x4Matrix, mult4x4Matrix and disp4x4Matrix method. I create a (0,0,4) vector and feeds it into the matrix, then multiply that one agains the current quaternion matrix, but i get goofy results... im missing something, i know it. i just can't put my finger on it.

I think i found it out... im just multiplying the end result quaternion matrix to the vector matrix... is there something else i should be doing to use the quaternion matrix to actually rotate the vector?

cheers

Quote:
Original post by Pirosan
ok i created a create4x4Matrix, mult4x4Matrix and disp4x4Matrix method. I create a (0,0,4) vector and feeds it into the matrix, then multiply that one agains the current quaternion matrix, but i get goofy results... im missing something, i know it. i just can't put my finger on it.

I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean with 'feeding a vector to a matrix'?
You should just get the matrix and multiply it with the vector (using matrix vector multiplication. All you need is a createMatrixFromQaternion function and a multplyVectorByMatrix function.

NB:
Technically, because it's a vector not a vertex, you should multiply it with the transposed of the inverse of the matrix, but as long as the 4x4 matrix contains only a rotation and no other transformations that shouldn't be necessary.

Tom

EDIT: ah, now I understand, you put the vector in a matrix before multiplication. Why are you not using matrix/vector multiplication?

Appologies, its 3 am here :)

How would i do matrix/vector multiplication? Is it just as easy as:

[0,0,0,0]---[x]
[0,0,0,0]---[y]
[0,0,0,0]-*-[z] ?
[0,0,0,0]---[1]

and just to make sure this is clear, this quaternion matrix is the very same matrix that i send to the glMultMatrix() method to rotate the object.

Quote:
Original post by Pirosan
Appologies, its 3 am here :)

How would i do matrix/vector multiplication? Is it just as easy as:

[0,0,0,0]---[x]
[0,0,0,0]---[y]
[0,0,0,0]-*-[z] ?
[0,0,0,0]---[1]

and just to make sure this is clear, this quaternion matrix is the very same matrix that i send to the glMultMatrix() method to rotate the object.

This is the matrix/vector multiplication from my library:

/**
* matrix-vector multiplication (apply matrix to vector): matrix = matrix * vector
**/

inline avector operator*(const avector& v)
{
if (identity)
return v;
avector r;
r.x = m[0] * v.x + m[4] * v.y + m[8] * v.z + m[12] * v.w;
r.y = m[1] * v.x + m[5] * v.y + m[9] * v.z + m[13] * v.w;
r.z = m[2] * v.x + m[6] * v.y + m[10] * v.z + m[14] * v.w;
r.w = m[3] * v.x + m[7] * v.y + m[11] * v.z + m[15] * v.w;
return r;
}

Note that I use OpenGL style matrices (where m[0], m[1], m[2] and m[3] are the first column).

And yes, the matrix should be the same. I'll just post my function for that as well for completness (it's a function of the same matrix class):

/**
* make rotation matrix (out of a quaternion)
* @param q quaternion
**/

inline void make_rotation(const aquaternion& q)
{
float xx = q.x * q.x;
float yy = q.y * q.y;
float zz = q.z * q.z;
float xy = q.x * q.y;
float xz = q.x * q.z;
float yz = q.y * q.z;
float sx = q.s * q.x;
float sy = q.s * q.y;
float sz = q.s * q.z;
m[0] = 1.0f - 2.0f * (yy + zz);
m[1] = 2.0f * (xy + sz);
m[2] = 2.0f * (xz - sy);
m[3] = 0.0f;
m[4] = 2.0f * (xy - sz);
m[5] = 1.0f - 2.0f * (xx + zz);
m[6] = 2.0f * (yz + sx);
m[7] = 0.0f;
m[8] = 2.0f * (xz + sy);
m[9] = 2.0f * (yz - sx);
m[10] = 1.0f - 2.0f * (xx + yy);
m[11] = 0.0f;
m[12] = 0.0f;
m[13] = 0.0f;
m[14] = 0.0f;
m[15] = 1.0f;
identity = false;
};

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!