• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FogGobbler

game engine for adventure style game

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, guys! I´ve read several threads about different game engines (commercial or open source), but I would like to aks you, which you would recommend for my type of game. I would like to create a point & click adventure style game with 2d prerendered backgrounds and 3d characters. This is what the engine should be able to do: - 3d import of characters and animation - 2d for background and gui elements - collision detection - shadow effects - particle engine - very important : script engine I´ve checked (i think) all the engines that are available (i.e. ogre, irrlicht, Torque, and many others), but I would like to know, which you could recommend for this type of game. Since my skills are more on the art and storyboarding side (allthough I do have several years in programming as well) the engine shouldn´t be to difficult to dive into. I don´t need all these DOOM3-effects. I read that SYBERIA 2 was created with virtools. Seems to be an interesting game engine, but it´s too expensive for me at the moment. I gather, there is a student licence available which is affordable, but I´m not sure if I need any extensions which are not included (for example for the collision detection). What is opinion on virtools? Is is worth the money for such a project? So, many questions :-) To summarize them 1. Which engine in your opinion for a 3d in 2d point&click adventure game? 2. What about virtools? Worth the money? Student version okay for such a game project? Thanks for your time & answers, Oli

Advertisement
Hey,

We made Syberia 1 and 2 using Virtools, and it was really worth it. The scripting is really simple in Virtools and easy to debug.

I admit that a license could be costy for a single developper though.

We did not use their collision system. What had to do with collision detection we wrote it ourselves.

I'm not sure how flexible it is, but you could take a look at SCUMM VM. Its an open source project that runs Lucas Arts data from their old games made with the Scumm Engine (Maniac Mansion, Days of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, etc...). All these games were in 2D, but maybe you could extend it to support 3D characters, shadows, etc...

Hope this helps

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me

Eric

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!