• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sander123

DirectDraw flicker??

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! This question is not about game programming, but I need some high speed garphics too :) I have to write a application to do some monitoring. It includes mainly realtime plotting of charts of various types like normal curves, scatter plots, etc. I'm finished with most of the application using Visual Stuio .Net 2003. At first the graphics were done using GDI+ / double buffering. This worked fine but was quite to slow, so I switched to DirectDraw (SDK 9.0 from June) using the .Net Wrapper like in this tutorial: http://www.kuhnstall.de/tutorials/dx9sharp1.html . It works too, I clear my background buffer to black were there was something drawn before, draw the new stuff and then flip it to the front, but: it flickers!! So: first question: How can that be? Is the hardware support moved to Direct3d because DirectDraw is deprecated, so it can't do vsync or something like that? Should I learn the do 2d in 3d thing? Second Question: I have to draw *many* lines. In one curves chart there a about 10 curves with like 500 data points each interpolated by a linear spline => this makes 10*500=5000 lines per chart and I need to show various of them at the same time. Is there some faster way to do this than calling DrawLine 5000 times because now it is really slow? GDI+ hat at least a DrawLines which draw multiple lines at once what was somehow faster. So, thanks in advance! Sander

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!