What is the perfect beginner's game engine that is powerful but easy?

Started by
43 comments, last by GameMasterXL 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello...I am ReneGade RG (I'm not gonna tell you my reall name)...call me RG. 9 months ago, I picked up DarkBasic and started learning it, I was surprised with the results, then I picked up DBPro and made a very very simple FPS... After that, I decided to stretch my dream of game programming even further and now I found this... Go on www.realmcrafter.com Good or what? But I was wandering whether there were some other good game engines out there! I tried Unreal but I don't own a full company and I don't have the skill and knowledge to learn c++... I tried Quake-2 but it just looked too primitive....I tried BigWorld but I ain't a professional mmorpg developer with a huge budget.... I want to find a good game engine that I don't have to own a big company to be able to use....You could probably tell now that I am under the age of 18... So can you recommend a good game engine for an under-18 that is easy but powerful at the same time besides RealmCrafter (can't wait to make my own mmorpg with RealmCrafter). Recently edited: I'm looking at Torque over there....sweet! If you recommend a c++ game engine, please also post in a GOOD c++ tutorial.... [Edited by - ReneGade RG dev on July 29, 2005 10:50:40 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ReneGade RG dev
I tried BigWorld but I ain't a professional mmorpg developer with a huge budget....

Don't forget that servers and bandwidth also cost money. MMORPGS are expensive to run, as well as develop.

Quote:So can you recommend a good game engine for an under-18 that is easy but powerful at the same time besides RealmCrafter (can't wait to make my own mmorpg with RealmCrafter).

Neverwinter Nights is a commercial game designed from the start to be highly moddable. It's a few years old now, and the engine is a bit dated, and it's not really 'massively' multiplayer. However, I would recommend it for a number of reasons.

1: It is highly modifiable and scriptable, and there is a large community with a plenty of knowledge about how to do things. There is also plenty of readily downloadable content already available.

2: It's cheap. You can buy the complete game and both expansions from play for under £20, and there are no licensing fees for running your own PW. And if you give up on it, you still have a complete game with thousands of downloadable single player mods and a wide range of online servers to play on.

3: It's a learning experience. You will find that creating a half decent PW that can run stably with just 64 players is a challenge. This will make you better able to appreciate and approach the problems with developing a full scale MMORPG in the future.

Quote:Recently edited: I'm looking at Torque over there....sweet! If you recommend a c++ game engine, please also post in a GOOD c++ tutorial....

'A tutorial' is not going to help you work with a complete game engine. If you want to work with Torque or something similar, and have reason to believe that you are likely to need to modify the underlying code, (as opposed to just scripting) then you will need to be a proficient programmer and well versed in a wide range of areas. Game Engines are big, complicated beasts, they aren't something you can cover in a few easy steps.
It looks good....so I'm gonna try using it to make a simple rpg and I'll use RealmCrafter to make an mmorpg!

Server and host problems I'll deall with later!
Quote:Neverwinter Nights is a commercial game designed from the start to be highly moddable. It's a few years old now, and the engine is a bit dated, and it's not really 'massively' multiplayer. However, I would recommend it for a number of reasons.

What do you necessarily mean by not "massively" multiplayer.
It doesn't support very many players.
I changed my mind greatly!

No, the NWN engine is terrible....you can't create your own models....the license agreement restricts me from doing anything big with the game....it kinda sucks on its own...the answer is NO!

I need to find something that's actually GOOD....that thing isn't....

Now what powerful, easy but not so restrictive game engines can I use?

[Edited by - ReneGade RG dev on July 29, 2005 10:56:49 AM]
you can't create your own models

Several thousand downloads on Neverwinter Vault would like to disagree with you there. The CEP for example adds a whole load of monsters, weapons, character models, portraits, and other bits and bobs to the game, and all of it was created by the modding community.

Quote:the license agreement restricts me from doing anything big with the game

Depends what you mean by 'big'. I've heard of PWs based on Warhammer 40K, Star Wars, as well as all sorts of more traditional settings that still involve all kinds of clever scripting and modifications.

I'd still recommend it, since it would enable you to get a clearer idea of some of the challenges you are likely to face developing a MMORPG, without taking on the enormous volume of work that is required to create your world entirely from scratch.
well....can I create my OWN models? (I want this to be MY game)
am I allowed to sell the game? (that was a rhetorical question, the answer is no).

more questions coming up....
help here?
Please....I need help!
well....can I create my own models?

YES.

Quote:am I allowed to sell the game?

No you can't, but this is a non-issue. The chances of successfully creating a marketable MMORPG straight off the bat with no experience is approximately nil, regardless of what engine you use.

In any case, I'm primarily recommending it to get experience. It's nigh on impossible to develop a successful MMORPG by jumping off into the deep end without really knowing what you're doing. You may not be able to create your dream game in it straight away, but it the experience you get from it will help you when you *do* come to create your dream game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement