A range of Questions about CVS

Started by
4 comments, last by Mr Lane 18 years, 8 months ago
A university project of mine is forcing me to use CVS. Whenever in a team i always left the CVS up to the other people (all i know is to commit and checkout files in a Linux environment). I am using windows now and this is an individual project. I have no idea where to begin setting up CVS, or how i can get CVS on windows. Sure i tried google, but there is just this mass of information about different CVS projects and clients and its just confusing. Put simply, how can i get a simple CVS system working in windows? Can CVS be used on a single machine or do you need to SSH into a CVS server with a repository (whenever I look at CVS information on the web they always talk about using an SSH client, but I really just want a local system on my computer). Are there any common or simple CVS implementations on windows that people reccomend? I actually use wxDevC++ which has CVS commands in its menues, but does not come with CVS itself. Does anyone know how to get CVS working with DevC++? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
whats CVS
I use CVSNT for server and TortoiseCVS for clients (it can also be used on the server) and both are IMO really simple to set up. Now you can google ;-)
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
On Windows I would recommend using TortioiseCVS if you aren't that used to CVS. It makes the common usages of CVS very easy to do. In particular, it should allow you to create a repository on your computer with very little effort.
I've Used CVSNT and TortoisCVS on windows. Both work and have good documentation.

Ahh, gamedev.net users never fail. TortoiseCVS looks to be the easy option I am after. Thanks. I might end up liking CVS and using it for myself even when I am not obliged.

Again, thanks to those who replied. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement