What Happens when...

Started by
6 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 18 years, 8 months ago
Here's another idea for a discussion: What happens when the world runs out of game ideas and all ideas have been used up by other games already? My solution to this is just make ports of old (And successful) games to the next generation. Games like the final fantasy series before they came to the psx or just random ports of console and pc games. What do you think?
Im tired of the Rating System (As alot of you are), please rate me down.
Advertisement
Game Designers will never run out of ideas, it all about creativity and thinking about what can be made, there are tons of ideas that have not even been touched yet, I don't think it is possible, and if it were, porting successful games happens now, so yes it would be a good idea because it is a good idea now.
PwebrickDeveloper - Looking for work in gaming industry
Oscar Wilde Said all stories fit into twelve basic plots.

IE-The world already has run out of ideas, they're just expanding on the ones we have.
I have extremely detailed and unique ideas for major projects, anyone interested in advanced programming, server setup (I have about five gigs of webspace at my disposal) and multimedia design should E-mail me at Fatimus@Gmail.com
Technology is the only limit to the ideas we can push. But that limit will ensure a continuous stream of new ideas into our games, even after all of us are dead :P

Most aspiring game developers get into the hobby or industry because they fell in love with a game or games. They probably have a list of features that their beloved game should have had, and so they set off to make it a reality. Along the way, they realize the job is much more difficult than they first imagined. This is where most run away.

Those that push on realize that the work involved merits even more originality to make the struggle worth-while. Simply copying a game and adding new features is kind of like those neighborhoods you see with ten identical houses. The value of each would be much, much higher if they were more unique, and each one had to be built from the ground up regardless. The comparison isn't really fair, considering the same workers built all of the houses, which sped up the building process :)
Quote:Original post by Jiia
Those that push on realize that the work involved merits even more originality to make the struggle worth-while.

Very well said! One of the tragedies of many indie projects is to work extremely hard doing something you love only to find out that there are thousands out there who simply want to do the same thing (MMO, FPS, RPG).

From my understanding, this along with market forces acts as the final blow to many, because the big, established companies almost always have more resources to do it better.

So my motto here is to "stay out from underfoot of elephants."

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
i thought there were 37 dramatic situations (although you can use more than one at a time, and don't forget the ragdoll physics which add oh-so-much)...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I don't believe that summing up story plots in a few words means those ideas have been done before. You can call both Fallout and Zelda role playing games, but you'll have a difficult time finding anyone who would say they are even similar.

The misguided role playing title itself proves that generic titles are no match for categorizing sories or ideas. Nearly all games are role playing games, so you could easily say we've already used up the only idea for a game we've had.

In other words, we'll never run out of ideas. Just like music, artwork, or clothing, the more we get used to certain tastes, the more dramatic things become to change the flavor. Eventually we'll be listening to screeching sounds and wear nothing but nose-rings :P -People of that time will look back and call us weird for wearing animal remains and living in structures built from tree carcasses.
Quote:Original post by XVampireX
What happens when the world runs out of game ideas and all ideas have been used up by other games already?

Then we declare computer games to be finished and all move on to something else [grin].

However, I don't think we'll run out of ideas soon. While it can be argued that there are a finite number of possible computer games, the number of possibility is so staggeringly huge we will never reach the limit. I've got at least three dozen ideas of computer games that haven't been done yet (well, to my knowledge [wink]). Granted, most of them could be considered modifications of what currently exists, but they still involve the evolution of new game ideas.

There's still millenia of innovation left before we're stuck with creating "Pong: The Next Generation".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement