• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jiia

Source File Naming

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is not exactly a programming question. Feel free to move it elsewhere if it doesn't fit. I normally have one *.h file and one *.cpp file with the same name to represent a single module for a class or small set of classes. Such as.. Character_AI.h Character_AI.cpp But I have some classes that have quite a lot of code running under their hood, and the cpp files end up becoming too large to maintain. It's rare, but I have a few of them. In these situations, I end up creating several source files that accompany the single header file. Is this common, or is it a bad sign? My main question is regarding the naming of the *.cpp files to prevent confusion. Is there any particular convention for this situation? This is my first guess.. Character_AI.h Character_AI_Engine.cpp Character_AI_Tasks.cpp The names could end up getting pretty long. In the example, the _Engine.cpp file would hold the main updating routines for AI, where the _Tasks.cpp would include small tasks that AI can use in that main updater. Both of them would contain CharacterAI:: type functions, IE, from the exact same class. For example, CharacterAI::Update() might be in _Engine.cpp where CharacterAI::CheckForCliffs() might be in _Tasks.cpp. This is just an example, but this is the general situation that I'm concerned about. It's not a big deal, but I thought I would ask. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks :)

Advertisement
It's just a suggestion but, if your code become too big in a class, isn't possible to split the class in two (or more) classes ?

It depends on the class itself. I personnaly have sometimes two source files for one header file. For exemple, for an OpenGL renderer, I need Windows-specific code and also Linux-specific code (I'm not using glut). So I put all my Linux code in RendererGL_Linux.cpp and all my Windows code in RendererGL_Win32.cpp (the code is related to the creation of the rendering window).

Hope it helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!