Yet another tetris clone, give it a go!

Started by
7 comments, last by Lonefox1 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi Guys finished this about a month ago havnt really show anyone it yet, any comments or suggestions or bug reports would be great :D It was made with C++ and SDL and was my first "big" project. im pretty proud of it. picture: link: http://www.lonefox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bmasterF.zip any comments appreciated! cheers Lone
Advertisement
Just wondering why you chose to use CTRL and ALT for the rotation. Could you also add the Up arrow as a rotating key to rotate counterclockwise. That would be great if you could.

I always loved tetris!
Well done; worked like a charm :)

In the spirit of constructive critisism, I have two remarks about the interface:
I'm not particularly knowladgable in the field of tetris, but it seems to me that most clones map the rotation of blocks to the up-key. I had to quit your application to look in the manual what the rotation keys are. I believe that when you create a program that is part of a well established genre, that you should (by default) use the keyboard mapping that is commonly accepted within that genre, even if you believe they are ackward. In your case you could simple map pressing the 'up-key' to the action of the left shift key as well (or, even better, make the key-controls configurable).

Also, dropping down the blocks with the down key worked perfectly. However, moving them to the left and right requires repressing the left or right buttons. It caused me to loose my first game before I even got to stage 2. I would expect them to work similar to the down button (although not as fast obviously): smooth sliding to the left or right until the button is released.

Tom

EDIT: when one uses an excessive amount of words to say something simple, one gets beaten by other posters :)
Very good job!

My main gripe, which is a problem with all tetris games I've played: I never get enough strait line pieces!! [smile]
Good Work!!

Tetris is a good game. I agree with the other poster that I would like to have a rotate on the up arrow. I think the desire comes from passed implementations.

Two Bugs:

The first may only be a perceived bug, and the game is working how you designed it. But if you bring a piece the the edge of the screen and then try and rotate it, it will not rotate. Eg 1x4 piece rotated vertical is brought to edge, then either rotate button is pushed, but no rotation occurs.

I don't remember the original functioning like this. I belive it would rotate while a piece was placed at the edge.

Second, bug I have observed but I couldn't reproduce it. I noticed it a couple times. It happens when I peice is brought down on top of the blck pile. The piece DOES NOT complete a line. But the block eats itself.

Good work.
I don't believe that you are able to rotate when on the edge in the original tetris. Though I'm sure that some implementations have done this but then again I'm used to playing microsofts version of tetris.

The uparrow rotation also allows the game to be played quiet a bit more easily with one hand which is one of the things I like about tetris.

Also another feature you could add would be random lines of garbage just staggered incomplete lines.

Just some thoughts take em or leave em.
While the controls were a little confuzing *for rotating*, it was good, nice work :)

Just a question, slightly off topic, sorry, is what's your guys' high/best score on tetris?
Mine is 266 lines (pulled it off last night)

But either way, very nice work and use of colors, keep it up ;)
When I closed the game, it logged a memory leak.

Alloc. Addr Size Addr Size BreakOn BreakOn
Number Reported Reported Actual Actual Unused Method Dealloc Realloc Allocated by
------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -------- ------- ------- ---------------------------------------------------
000001 0x00B8B128 0x00000500 0x00B8B118 0x00000520 0x00000434 new N N ??(00000)::??

Neat game, I like the background.
Thanks for the comments guys, i based it on the original tetris on the gameboy which didnt allow rotations at the far left n right. or atleast i hope that was the case lol dont have my gameboy handy. i didnt actually think of using the up arrow!, just added it. As for the memory leak i spent ageas trying to track it down with no luck, i think it has something to do with the state pointer im using but its so small that its not really a problem at the moment. Moving left and right while holding it down i tried to put that in but it caused major problems because of the way i had designed it. im looking at some other options to get it in as i want this feature in aswell. heres the new version anyway with the up arrow acting as a turning key :)

Clicky

cheers
Lone
My Website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement