• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Compilation issues

This topic is 4591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am using DirectDraw7 and DirectInput8.1 interfaces for one of my projects and have the following problem. If I leave VS6.0's internal static library and header files search paths unchanged, compilation fails and I get lots of errors. If I move the search paths to Direct8.1 SDK to the top of the list, then the program compiles fine. Is there way I can fix this so that I don't have to change the sequence of the search paths?

Advertisement
The compilier is probably getting confused because you're trying to use interfaces that did not ship with VS6. DirectX 8 came out after VS6 so if you try to use DX8 functionality without telling the compiler where to find the appropriate headers/libraries, you'll get compilation problems.

The solution is to add the search path for DirectX 8 libraries before the default search paths in Visual Studio. In general, the search path in VS should list newer libraries first and then older ones. If for some reason you don't want to change the search paths for all Visual Studio, you can add specific search paths to your individual projects. VS will look in the paths you add to individual projects before it looks in the default paths it stores for all of Visual Studio.

neneboricua

I'd rather not specify the paths from within the code files because I have no idea of the synthesis of the target machines. I'll just make a note of the issue and its solution in a README file and let the user handle it.

Thanks for the help neneboricua19.

I don't mean in the source code itself. I mean in the Project settings. Visual Studio has the concept of a Project. It's that window on the left hand side where all of your source files are listed. You can set up individual projects to have different library paths, different command line and compiler options, etc...

You can set the path for the libraries you're using inside the Project settings. If you're working on this project with other people, you should all be using a standard development environment where you've all installed the different libraries you're using the same places on your local machines.

neneboricua

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement