• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xinvar

[fixed. Thank you Kippesoep] C++ static member variable and inheritance problem

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a base class CWindow, and two inherited class from it. In the CWindow class, I have a public static member variable ( bool isValid) that I want to be false at the beginning, but changed to true after one instance of the inherited window is initialized. However, isValid changes to false each time I initialize a derived class object. At the beginning of the CWindow.cpp file, I defined the initial value of isValid: bool CWindow::isValid = false; Every time I use this variable in the program, I use: CWindow::isValid = true or if ( !CWindow::isValid ) { } What could be wrong? [Edited by - xinvar on July 29, 2005 2:13:20 PM]

Advertisement
Not sure exactly what's wrong, but this should be all you need:

/* CWindow.h */

class CWindow
{
public:
CWindow ();
virtual ~CWindow ();
static bool isValid;
};

/* CDerived1.h */

#include "CWindow.h"

class CDerived1 : public CWindow
{
public:
CDerived1 ();
~CDerived1;
};

//analogous for CDerived2

/* CWindow.cpp */

bool CWindow::isValid = false;

CWindow::CWindow ()
{
//Don't do anything to isValid here
}

CWindow::~CWindow ()
{
//Nor here
}

/* CDerived1.cpp */

CDerived1::CDerived1 ()
{
//Set the variable
isValid = true;
}

CDerived1::~CDerived1 ()
{
//Leave isValid alone
}

/* CDerived2.cpp analogous to CDerived1.cpp */

This takes into account your statement that you want isValid to change to true only when a derived class is instantiated. If CWindow itself cannot be instantiated and you have no other derived classes that satisfy this condition, it would be:

/* CWindow.h */

class CWindow
{
public:
CWindow ();
virtual ~CWindow ();
static bool isValid;
};

/* CDerived1.h */

#include "CWindow.h"

class CDerived1 : public CWindow
{
public:
CDerived1 ();
~CDerived1;
};

//analogous for CDerived2

/* CWindow.cpp */

CWindow::CWindow ()
{
//Set the variable
isValid = true;
}

CWindow::~CWindow ()
{
//Nor here
}

/* CDerived1.cpp */

CDerived1::CDerived1 ()
{
//Don't do anything to isValid here
}

CDerived1::~CDerived1 ()
{
//Leave isValid alone
}

/* CDerived2.cpp analogous to CDerived1.cpp */

in each of your derive class constructor do CWindow::isValid = true; now as long as nothing else modify it then it should remain true, then when you call CWindow::isValid it should return true.

thank you very much Kippesoep and nhatkthanh. But why do I need to initialize it in all the derived class? I thought static member variables would just stay in the memory, and once you initialize it:

/* CWindow.cpp */

It'll be false until we change it somewhere else -- in my case, it'll be in CDerived1::CDerived1(). And once we change it in CDerived1::CDerived1() to be TRUE, it'll be true unless I change it again somewhere else.

Sorry for messed things up. Let me be more clear on my problem:

In CWindow::OnCreate() I would initialize the window, and if successful, set: CWindow::isValid = true. (I debugged into the program, it's always successful)

CDerived1 and CDerived simply use CWindow::OnCreate() (no overloaded function defined in CDerived*).

isValid controls something that I ONLY want to initialize ONCE for my program. I have two instances of CDerived1 and 3 instances of CDerived2 (splitted windows), and isValid should be true after ANYONE of the 5 instances gets created, so that the init stuff in

if ( !isValid ) {
}

only runs once.

But isValid turns false for at init of each of the 5 instances.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. In that case, simply have "isValid = true" in the OnCreate handler. Nowhere else. If it does change it's value other than by that direct code, you have a bug. A common mistake is:

if (isValid = false) //should be "=="

Could also be a memory error elsewhere in your program.

it is a common bug.. but actually in my program i used:

if ( ! COpenGL_Window::m_bHRCValid ) {

COpenGL_Window::m_bHRCValid = true;
}

A memory error SOMEWHERE ELSE.... that's really tough.

Quote:
Original post by xinvar
A memory error SOMEWHERE ELSE.... that's really tough.

Yes, but there are ways to find it more easily, especially if your development environment supports memory/data breakpoints. If you're using Visual Studio, press Alt-F9 to bring up the breakpoint window. Create a new data breakpoint with the expression "COpenGL_Window::m_bHRCValid". Whenever the value of that variable changes, the program will break into the debugger.

wow words cannot express my thankfulness to you, Kippesoep!

I found out immediately : I (unconsiously) changed COpenGL_Window::m_bHRCValid somewhere else in the program! Now it's working perfectly.

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!