N00bish question regarding running linux from CD.

Started by
4 comments, last by SKATIN_HARD 18 years, 8 months ago
To be honest I don't quite get live CDs. So, do I just download a distro then burn it on a CD? Then the next time I turn on my computer it'll boot up linux if I have the CD in it or boot up windows if I don't? Thanks.
Advertisement
Installing Linux requires an install CD just like Windows...You stick it in and (if your bios is set to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk) it will begin the install process.

A live CD is a boot cd that will be able to run Linux off the CD withouth installation. To install Linux, you don't need a live CD, though some installation routines do work off of Live CDs. Example: Simply Mepis's install CD will boot to a fully functional Linux. To install, run the executable on the desktop labeled "SETUP".
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Well, I'm interested in booting from a CD because I want to try out a functional linux desktop system without it touching my hardrive, or at least touch as little of my hardrive as possible.

I'll see if I can find out more info on this subject. Thanks anyway tHiSiSbOb.

[UPDATE]

O.K., I spent some more time searching, and I think I'm starting to get the idea. I just have one more question: is it possible to make a live CD from any distro, or can I only burn "made for CD" distros?

Thanks.

[Edited by - Zaxx on July 29, 2005 12:55:55 PM]
Quote:Original post by Zaxx
I just have one more question: is it possible to make a live CD from any distro, or can I only burn "made for CD" distros?

Not really. You need a special "live" CD that not all distros provide. In addition to Mepis, Ubuntu and Knoppix provide live CD's (i'm sure there are more though).

I personally think Ubuntu is a great distro for a first time linux user.
I'd personally recommend Knoppix. Its great.
If you have broadband and time, then wait a couple of weeks more, since a DVD is going to be released (the upcoming 4.0 version - well, there will be a CD too..)

And when you become proficient with Linux, then you might want to check out this. (Just to let you know)

I think knoppix supports customization to a certain level (so that you can create your customized knoppix version)

Cheers
You have to have a computer that is capable of booting from the cd/dvd drive. You can change what the computer boots from usually by hitting one of the F keys. It should say on your computers startup screen. The key usually varies with companies. Once you figure out how to do that for your particular machine, you just put the burned cd in and your set.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement