• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Battagline

Compatability Issues.

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been developing a game called Epoch Star and from time to time I hear reports of Graphics not displaying correctly. A few people have told me that when they attempt to actually play the game, no 3d objects actually appear. Also I've had a few people tell me that there are "Black Boxes" around some of the sprites in my game. Everyone so far who's had these complaints has had an NVidia card. I have 2 Nvidia cards that I've popped into various machines, and it never has a problem. I've also gone so far as to purchase the exact same graphics card as one of the people who have had this complaint, but still the game runs fine. Here's some screen shots from someone who has had problems: Image 1 Image 2 I have 4 computers at home and the game runs great on all of them. I even have about 12 different video cards that I have swapped in and out, and the game runs fine with all but the older ones. I know there are people out there who can not play my game that have hardware that should be capable. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to track a problem like this down? Thanks Edited by Coder: Please don't inline large images [Edited by - Coder on July 30, 2005 7:58:31 AM]

Advertisement
That is possible, but one person claimed to have just downloaded the most recent version of his vc driver.

Thanks for you help, I'm pretty stumped on this one.

Its just that textures not showing up or black boxes around textures is a classic indication of bad render state settings. If the same code works on different cards and even on the same video cards your users have, then that just screams driver problem to me.

I would try to verify the actual driver version that your users have installed. I'll try to think of some other idea in the meantime. Perhaps other people could suggest other possible causes of the problem.

neneboricua

Thank you very much. Is there anything I can do to the render state to try to prevent this from happening? Is there something I can do a caps check on? I have a suspission that the problem occurs when I try to do addative blending.

Thanks again

Well, I guess if you do suspect renderstate issues, you could write a simple "Core dump" feature. What you'd do is loop through all the renderstates and dump the values to a file. Then, just have people having the problem send you the file. A quick check would show you any differences in the values, then you could at least know where to start.

Welcome to the world of PC compatibility! BTW, your game looks awesome! You can ask the users having problems to run DirectX Caps Viewer, click on their graphics card under "DirectX Graphics Adapter", dump the tree to a file, and email the file to you. Then you look and see what caps are not supported by their card.

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure the best way to handle this. I tried doing the whole caps dump using the directX tools myself, and personally I don't think it's particularly intuitive. You have to print it to a file if I recall, and then it isn't exactly clear where that file ends up, so I had to do a search for it. Asking someone to use the caps viewer and do a print to file may not exactly be welcomed, but I can try.

The other option of writing my own dump program seems a little laborious, but it may be the only way to do it if I prefer to not ask someone to do the caps viewer thing. I guess I'll have to think about what I wnat to do.

Thanks for the kind words about the game BTW. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get it working on more computers.

Thanks again,
Rick [smile]

Hey!
You can use a tool available at
http://d3dcaps.chris.dragan.name/
It's a caps database and has a nice dumping tool.

Cheers
fushi

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!