• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

proper architecture

This topic is 4679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I've got a problem with the architecture of my projects. I usually have a main.cpp and a main.h. In the main.h i include all the other .h files, like model.h, math3d.h, patricle.h, etc. These .h files contain includes for their own .cpp file, but never main.h. When the project gets bigger it gets a mess and sometimes the compiler gives me trouble with double definitions, etc. What is the proper way to make lots of different .cpp files all with their own special functions and classes that sometimes use classes from different .cpp files? Thanx, Marty

Advertisement
Okay well you should be prototyping your classes in a .h file and putting the actual definition in your .cpp file. Then to prevent double initilitzations on .h files simple do this

#ifndef _OBJLOADER_ALREADY_SEEN_
#define _OBJLOADER_ALREADY_SEEN_

replace OBJLOADER with the name of your cpp file, it should be some thing unique.

Then at the end of your file

#endif

This lets you include a .h file multiple times in diffrent files without running into compiler troubles.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!