Code::Blocks installation nightmare

Started by
6 comments, last by Ilici 18 years, 8 months ago
Sys Spec: distro: Ubuntu 4.10 A short story, Today I got this hought that I should try to dl and install the Code::Blocks ide, as I have heard a good deal posetive about it. And im in seach for a desent ide on linux. Well I found there site and clicked dl, and noticed that there was no binary's for linux. Since Im not that great on linux I figured, Hey lets look in the wiki. After a little clicking around I found a tutorial, saying : "Compiling Code::Blocks in GNU/Linux: Compiling Code::Blocks in Linux (applies to all distros)" "Nice, this going to be easy" was my first reaction. Then it follows up by stating under the "Prerequisites" that: "What is not covered here, is the wxWidgets prerequisites. The most important being GTK2, of course! Let me stress it here, while it's early: GTK2 is required, not GTK1, for Code::Blocks to be operational." Well I head over to the GKT2 website, and continue into a world of source and builds and more "Prerequisites". Soon I got a ton of windows in my opera browser. And im lost.. realy lost.. And it seems like everyting has tons of stuff that I need before doing that and more that I cant do before doing that. I dont even know if I got GKT2 installed before hand! The article is old as I refer to some old builds and im starting to wonder if I dont need the new ones, and so I fall even deaper into the evil sea of source and builds. So now my dear fellow forumers, what do I need for Code::Blocks to work? Is there anyway I can get the correct GTK version tru apt-get? Is there anyway I can install wxWigdets tru apt-get or some debian packet? In other words is there a easy way to do this? Or do I have to waddle tru the o' so mighty sea of source and builds?
- Me
Advertisement
From what Ive seen, compiling the sources so far has been painful for many.
Why dont you just head to the Official forums?, Im sure theyll be glad to help you out more properly.
I even think theres some guy who made a thread about compiling problems in Ubuntu.

Cheers
You're in dependencies hell, not Code::Blocks hell. [smile]
Discover the marvel that are OS with port trees and rejoice(FreeBSD, Gentoo, Debian, maybe more).
Quote:
"What is not covered here, is the wxWidgets prerequisites. The most important being GTK2, of course! Let me stress it here, while it's early: GTK2 is required, not GTK1, for Code::Blocks to be operational."
Well I head over to the GKT2 website, and continue into a world of source and builds and more "Prerequisites". Soon I got a ton of windows in my opera browser. And im lost.. realy lost..

Are you sure that you don't already have GTK2? If you don't than why build it from source when you can head over to: System/Administration: Synapatic Package Manager and search for GTK2

Quote:
Discover the marvel that are OS with port trees and rejoice(FreeBSD, Gentoo, Debian, maybe more).

Ubuntu is based on debian

You do know how to use apt don't you?

To install GTK2:
Go to a terminal and type:
apt-cache search gtk2
(a list of packages will pop up)
su root "apt-get install (most relevent package that showed up)"

I know gtk2 is inside of the Ubuntu repositories somewhere.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
You could try running Code::Blocks configure script first, and see what you're missing. And if you are running Gnome, which I think Ubuntu uses by default, you already have GTK2 installed.

And as the others already has pointed out you should use Ubuntus package manager to install the packages instead of building from source. But beware that it might not be enough to install for example the GTK2 package, you might also need the GTK2-devel package if you plan to compile Code::Blocks. But don't take my word for it, I've never used Ubuntu.

If you're interested in other IDE's, I'm using Eclipse with the CDT plugin. Works very well for me, although some complain that it's too slow, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope you get it to work, otherwise there's always the console [smile]

Edit: Btw, there's a new version of Ubuntu out, 5.04 "The Hoary Hedgehog". In case you wanted to know [smile]
Hey, fear not!

I *JUST* managed to compile Code::Blocks on Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary Hedge! (and fixed a linux bug in the way ;-) ).

The installation was easy:

From Ubuntu, I ran synaptic. And checked GTK2 and GTK2-devel packages. I waited till they downloaded, and installed.

The I ran wxWidgets configure, and it worked! :D

From there, compilation of Code::Blocks was a breeze.

Now the bad news, is that probably your version still has lots of bugs :P The bug I fixed (but won't appear till next version, unless you download from CVS) is a crash on exit. The workaround is to close all windows (ctrl-shift-f4) before exiting. Another bug is related to wxGTK missing some features we used in the configuration dialogs - but it's more an annoyance than a crash.

Oh - and disable the code completion plugin, it's still very buggy on Linux.

Yes, I know, it's not perfect :( But that's why I installed Linux in the first place - to fix bugs! Expect a new (fixed) Linux version of Code::Blocks soon :)
Quote:Original post by CoMaNdore

So now my dear fellow forumers, what do I need for Code::Blocks to work?
Is there anyway I can get the correct GTK version tru apt-get?
Is there anyway I can install wxWigdets tru apt-get or some debian packet?

Hei,

I may not be up to date but you'll need to get wxGTK2-2.4 from the wxwidgets site (through CVS) and compile it. It's all detailed in the wiki on the Code::Blocks site. GTK2 is surealy installed (Ubuntu uses it).

I hope they find a way to make a debian package, that would be great!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement