[.net] .NET game programming and portability

Started by
3 comments, last by paulecoyote 18 years, 8 months ago
I haven't really followed it but how does .NET game development pan out performance-wise? Are there any decent game examples using it? Now that I got that question out of the way, what I'd really want to know is if the .NET framework will be going on the XBOX 360 thus making it possible to develop a game with .NET and port it to XBox. [Edited by - thebardde on July 29, 2005 6:28:36 PM]
Advertisement
There was a game that was first made in C#. I forgot the name of it. Help anyone? Nasa made this in C#: http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

I think Second Life was made in C# too. www.secondlife.com
Arena Wars and Tin Soldiers are games built with .NET
Quote:Original post by thebardde
I haven't really followed it but how does .NET game development pan out performance-wise? Are there any decent game examples using it?

Now that I got that question out of the way, what I'd really want to know is if the .NET framework will be going on the XBOX 360 thus making it possible to develop a game with .NET and port it to XBox.

My experience is that the bottleneck is always the render pipeline. However, it's PC only. There will be no support on consoles.
Mono is a crossplatform implementation of .Net 1.1. It is feasable that if a console can run linux, that it would be able to run mono.

As far as performance goes I've personally written a Busta' move clone as a learnning exercise and it's fine.

C# has the advantage of being more rapid to develop in by nature then other lower-level languages because you don't have to write as many lines to do the same thing. It's capabilities are unknown... much like if you look at playstation 2 games when they first came out to how they look now - you'll see a marked improvement because developers build up libraries and learn how to use the tools better.

Right now some documentation is a bit sparse, but it is well capable of doing many things you throw at it.

Basically don't let C++ elitists stop you from using C# - C++ may be industry standard right now but that doesn't stop people making great things with other tools.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement